• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Please; Making Crank Noises at Acceleration

sinewave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

This is my first thread and I'm new to the community. I've done some lurking/researching before deciding to purchase my '99 XJ Classic 4.0 NP242. I now come to you guys with my first issue after having it for almost 2 months.

Anyway, while on my test drives I had noticed the Jeep making noises during certain maneuvers, but didn't think too much about it. I brought it to my local Chrysler 5-Star dealer to get serviced and their best advice is these Jeeps are known to make noises. I thought that was bullcrap. I just hit 140000kms and thought it was about time to ask the experts.

So for the noise, I will hear...almost a crank sound, turning 3,4 or 5 times coming from what it sounds like under the right passenger's feet. I'm not sure how far it extends but that's the best I can hear it when I am driving. It ususally happens when I stop and then accelerate quickly (either turning a corner or from a stoplight). It doesn't happen frequently, but it happens enough that it is noticable and makes me nervous.

Is this normal? I don't think it is, but if not what could be the problem? Has anyone had similar issues?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Total guess based on what I replaced recently.

Wheel bearing Assemblies
axle u-joints
drive shaft u-joints
transfer case chain.

axle u-joint made a weird some what grinding sound during turns
could have been the WBAs too, as I changed them at the same time.

My XJ was quite when I bought it and slowly started getting noise at say 80K.

With all that I changed above, the only thing I hear is the droning of the mud terrains. :D

Still shock? What do you mean?

Ummm a noise would be so hard to describe over the internet. I used to do a lot of mountain bike riding back in the day and if you would put a lot of stress on your crank or something of that nature it would make a similar sound IMO.

Haha I don't know what you want me to say...it sounds like "tuk, tuk, tuk, tuk" or like something is trying to grab, hold on to something and it's missing it 4 times in a row and the metal is making these noises.

Or it could sound like something with a lot of pressure being put on it and it is the sound that the weight is making.

It's really hard to describe...as you can tell.

muckleroy said:
Total guess based on what I replaced recently.

Wheel bearing Assemblies
axle u-joints
drive shaft u-joints
transfer case chain.

axle u-joint made a weird some what grinding sound during turns
could have been the WBAs too, as I changed them at the same time.

My XJ was quite when I bought it and slowly started getting noise at say 80K.

With all that I changed above, the only thing I hear is the droning of the mud terrains. :D

Thanks a lot Muckleroy. I'll look into this. Glad to hear it stopped. :)

sinewave said:

Ummm a noise would be so hard to describe over the internet. I used to do a lot of mountain bike riding back in the day and if you would put a lot of stress on your crank or something of that nature it would make a similar sound IMO.

Haha I don't know what you want me to say...it sounds like "tuk, tuk, tuk, tuk" or like something is trying to grab, hold on to something and it's missing it 4 times in a row and the metal is making these noises.

Or it could sound like something with a lot of pressure being put on it and it is the sound that the weight is making.

If it sounds like a chain jumping teeth on a gear, just a deeper noise from a bike, then I bet it is the transfer case chain.

sinewave said:

Sure it is not the tranny? You can feel it while driving?

Stock or does it have some type of lift on it?
You mean a creaking sound?
Cranking is a action not a sound.

It's stock right now. I'll look into those issues that muckleroy gave me and if it continues then i'll try to work on defining my cranking, creaking sounds. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, just the sounds are hard to explain and can be many things, best bet is look over everything you can see and check for tightness on all joints and steering components and just try to pinpoint the noise, eliminating things as you go.
Just consider this a welcome to jeep's problem. Welcome to the club as well, we'll help you all the way.

MiNi Beast said:
Well, just the sounds are hard to explain and can be many things, best bet is look over everything you can see and check for tightness on all joints and steering components and just try to pinpoint the noise, eliminating things as you go.
Just consider this a welcome to jeep's problem. Welcome to the club as well, we'll help you all the way.
Yeah, thanks. I will be keeping my eye and ear closer to the problem. Thanks for the welcome. I couldn't tell if you were already on my back or just trying to help out. :cool: I've been at other boards that have nothing but hate for noobs, but seeing very little of that on here was refreshing.

PS - I saw you were from MI, very close to me in Windsor...but seeing that you live on the other side of the state (never hearing of fruitport) I won't bother to ask if you know of any trails near me.

sinewave said:
Yeah, thanks. I will be keeping my eye and ear closer to the problem. Thanks for the welcome. I couldn't tell if you were already on my back or just trying to help out. :cool: I've been at other boards that have nothing but hate for noobs, but seeing very little of that on here was refreshing.

No. Thought I may have came off that way but like I said hard to describe a sound, as well as what you said, over the internet. But most of the time if you toss some words around someone has heard the same sound and can get you close to what the problem is. But don't you won't get flamed here cause you will, everyone has at some point, but take it very lightly, most the time some people BS in all fun, but sometimes some people are just dumba$$es themselves so they get that no fear behind a computer confidence and will start talking big. Had that a few times but just ignore it. But that's not very often. At least to me. We all are here for our Jeeps. So don't be scared to get it dirty! (well when you get her fixed) :cheers:

Back