• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The tranny button?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought an '89 XJ Limited, it has a button by the steering wheel with the picture of a tranny and it says "Comfort" on the bottom and "power" on the top.

What does this button do?

Switch it to power, and rip the switch out and throw it away. :doh:

According to my owner's manual for my '88 Laredo, the blurb states:

AutomaticTransmission Mode Selection Switch
Automatic transmission mode selection allows you to select different transmission shift characteristics to suit your driving style and road conditions. The switch has two positions:
Power: In this mode the transmission will be more responsive. It will upshift at higher speeds under hard acceleration and downshift more quickly. An amber indicator light on the switch will glow in this position.
Comfort: This mode is for normal driving. The transmission will upshift at lower speeds for more economical operation.

Hope this helps

__________________________________________________ __________
1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 Litre, Automatic; basically stock, and it's LHD

On my 90' the difference is about 4 mpg! I get much better mileage in the "comfort" possition. I use the "power" possition for towing only.

They did away with the switch in later models and hardwired the TCU into power mode because is wears the clutches out quicker by giving you a softer more comfortable shifting experience. My advice is the same as muckleroy's: switch it to power and forget you have the switch!

I was joking of course, but now that I hear...

1. 4 mpg more
2. auto transmission repair bill...

Wow which is cheaper!?!?! :roflmao:

Hmmmm maybe a transmission cooler addition and you'll have the best of both worlds. 4 mpg better and no transmission repair bill.

I've got 185K on my '90, and I doubt it will make a hill of beans difference by having softer shifting. The biggest difference I note is not holding onto second gear as long and not downshifting as aggressively. Nothing wrong with that.

Frankly, for the daily commute, 4mpg at $4 a gallon is nothing to sneeze at. If we needed to rip through traffic, we'd be posting on ninjadeathbike.com.

So...I get better milage in the comfort mode? But the power mode is better on the tranny?

I dont car how the car "feels" as long as it's running as well as possible, and gets the best milage possible.

muckleroy said:
I was joking of course, but now that I hear...

1. 4 mpg more
2. auto transmission repair bill...

Wow which is cheaper!?!?! :roflmao:

Hmmmm maybe a transmission cooler addition and you'll have the best of both worlds. 4 mpg better and no transmission repair bill.

I have a large tranny cooler and a temp guage. The tranny runs hotter in the Power mode in the same situation. My AW4 has 160k on it in the comfort mode and is still a solid shifter.

xjtrailrider said:
I have a large tranny cooler and a temp guage. The tranny runs hotter in the Power mode in the same situation. My AW4 has 160k on it in the comfort mode and is still a solid shifter.
Just out of curiosity, how much cooler? I am surprised, because I would have thought that shifting from overdrive to 3rd more often would cause more heat. Maybe that extra heat is because of the difference in torque converter lockup? Either way you guys are on the verge of converting me back to using the comfort setting. I have almost 300k on mine (as far as I know it is the original trans) and it's still solid. I wish there was a way to find out which setting it was set at most of it's life.

xjtrailrider said:

I was thinking of adding a temp gauge for my transmission temp, how'd you do it? Is there a kit for that sort of thing? Actually I'd like to be able to monitor the temp of the transmission and the transfer case.

I have an IR temp gun. I scanned the tcase the other day after an hour's driving, 165 degrees on the housing.

88 Wagonman said:
I wish there was a way to find out which setting it was set at most of it's life.
I think mine was in the comfort mode most of its life because my switch was stuck in that mode. When I tried to flip it ...I couldn't ... untill I thought I broke it when it "broke" free into the power position. I bought mine with 217,XXX miles on it.

Yeah mine has 203k and looks like it was mostly in the comfort switch when I got it a few days ago...just curious if that's something I would want to switch to for wheeling.

I would switch to power for wheeling, it will shift faster, the RPMs will be higher between shifts and the torque converter will stay locked up longer for added compression braking when going down hills.

I use it on the highway. If I want to pass and i'm in Comfort it doesn't downshift until its nearly at the floor-Power will make it shift with alot less throttle, which I would equate to less fuel usage. Plus the torque converter locks at highway speed even if Comfort is on (I notice no RPM diff at 60mph with it on or off)

Or maybe my TPS is misadjusted?

88 Wagonman said:
Just out of curiosity, how much cooler? I am surprised, because I would have thought that shifting from overdrive to 3rd more often would cause more heat. Maybe that extra heat is because of the difference in torque converter lockup? Either way you guys are on the verge of converting me back to using the comfort setting. I have almost 300k on mine (as far as I know it is the original trans) and it's still solid. I wish there was a way to find out which setting it was set at most of it's life.

The biggest Hayden cooler, 30,000 GVWR. It is recommended for motorhomes.

Back