• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solenoid help. please!

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
Yes ive searched. my stats of the jeep are on my signature (1998 xj). anyway. i went off roading and the check engine light came on. SO as i put it in 4lo i shifted into third to see if itll take off and there was no power in the drive train so i shiftd in to 1st/2nd gear and it was fine. So as i was going home, i put it back into two wheel drive and put it in "D" and tried to take off. id hit the gas and it wasnt go no where. so then i puhed the gas to the floor and it barely moved. then i shifted into 1st/2nd gear and it took off then manually shifted into 3rd then over drive. Its been doint it all day. I went to autozone on the way home and i flashed these two codes with the flashed. p0700 & p0758.

This is what the codes are

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
P0758Shift Solenoid B Electrical

Any ideas how to fix them? Wut they are? DO I need to get a new trans? Something that i can fix at home? Thanx.:guitar:

The transmission is electronically controlled. It could be that a solenoid went out. I don't have an exploded view in front of me, and my service manual is only 91. Do you have a factory manual, not a chiltons? It'd walk you right through troubleshooting and repair.

markw said:
The transmission is electronically controlled. It could be that a solenoid went out. I don't have an exploded view in front of me, and my service manual is only 91. Do you have a factory manual, not a chiltons? It'd walk you right through troubleshooting and repair.
where can i get these solenoids from? Most specifically the B solenoid.

Or maybe a bad connection or fuse..

98RExj said:
Yes ive searched. my stats of the jeep are on my signature (1998 xj). anyway. i went off roading and the check engine light came on. SO as i put it in 4lo i shifted into third to see if itll take off and there was no power in the drive train so i shiftd in to 1st/2nd gear and it was fine. So as i was going home, i put it back into two wheel drive and put it in "D" and tried to take off. id hit the gas and it wasnt go no where. so then i puhed the gas to the floor and it barely moved. then i shifted into 1st/2nd gear and it took off then manually shifted into 3rd then over drive. Its been doint it all day. I went to autozone on the way home and i flashed these two codes with the flashed. p0700 & p0758.

This is what the codes are

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
P0758Shift Solenoid B Electrical

Any ideas how to fix them? Wut they are? DO I need to get a new trans? Something that i can fix at home? Thanx.:guitar:

I believe that you only need a solenoid. There should be three in your tranny.
Two are the same and the third one is different.
I'll try to find out tomorrow where to get a deal on the solenoid and get back to you. I bought my first one from the dealer for $235.00- rip off. The next time I needed a solenoid I got all 3 for about the same price.

Anyway, with a 10mm wrench you can get the transmission pan off. The PIA is removing the oil dip stick tube. Lube it with WD-40 first then it might make it easier.

Next, remove filter, then you are looking at 3 solenoids. I will try to check which one is "B". Probably the center one.

There is only a phillips screw holding it in, and a small electrical connector to disconnect.

Easy job, save $.

HTH

Jeffy-97XJ
It is VERY easy to change.

Before going to all that trouble first check the fuses! There should be a fuse in the fuse block and a fuse next to the TCU. Also check that the TCU is still plugged in, I have forgotten to plug mine in after doing a heater core and it acts the same way. ALWAYS start with the simple and basic stuff first.

Jeff-97XJ said:
I believe that you only need a solenoid. There should be three in your tranny.
Two are the same and the third one is different.
I'll try to find out tomorrow where to get a deal on the solenoid and get back to you. I bought my first one from the dealer for $235.00- rip off. The next time I needed a solenoid I got all 3 for about the same price.

Anyway, with a 10mm wrench you can get the transmission pan off. The PIA is removing the oil dip stick tube. Lube it with WD-40 first then it might make it easier.

Next, remove filter, then you are looking at 3 solenoids. I will try to check which one is "B". Probably the center one.

There is only a phillips screw holding it in, and a small electrical connector to disconnect.

Easy job, save $.

HTH

Jeffy-97XJ
It is VERY easy to change.
yeah it sounds easy to fix. just need to find the solenoids so i can replace it.

98RExj said:
yeah it sounds easy to fix. just need to find the solenoids so i can replace it.

I will try to locate the source for you tomorrow for the solenoids. I think the brand name is Radner or something like that.

I think that when I had the second solenoid go out, I bought all three solenoids as a set and replaced all three while I was in there. I kept the two good solenoids as trail spares. Luckily I ended up with one of each type A & B so I am good for when the next one needs replacing.

I'll let you know when I find the correct name of the source for the solenoids.

Jeff-97XJ

This is no solenoid problem, if it were than it would not work normally when manually shifted (the shifter just controls the solenoids), you're looking at a fuse or a connection most likely (as Corbinafly, whatever the hell that name means!) said, either that or your transmission is in "limp" mode (No, not like spending a night drinking whiskey...).

Try checking fuse 11 in the junction block (the fuse panel inside the cabin) and fuse 16 in the Power Distribution Center, I'd suspect fuse 11 over fuse 16.

Also get under the Jeep and find the transmission wiring harness, unplug it, clean it with contact cleaner, and plug it back in.

Give that a try.

It is a solenoid problem....If it had no power (blown fuse) you would hae a loss of communication code between the pcm and the tcm.

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
It is a solenoid problem....If it had no power (blown fuse) you would hae a loss of communication code between the pcm and the tcm.

Justin
There is no separate TCM on his 98. It's an integral part of the PCM.

In the case where there is a seperate TCM, then the problem can't be a fuse, right? Then there would be a complete loss of connection between the two components.

bigalpha said:
In the case where there is a seperate TCM, then the problem can't be a fuse, right? Then there would be a complete loss of connection between the two components.
If I understand it correctly, if you have a separate TCM, and if your fuse is missing or blown it goes into "limp mode"....which allows you to go thru the shifting manually. If you have the POWER and COMFORT switch, that fuse needs to be good in the main fuse block under the driver side also.
If you unplug your TCM you should be able to shift manually thru the gears also. If this happens you have almost surely ruled out the mechanical part of the transmission and put it into the electrical realm of something wrong (TPS, TCM, grounds, bad connections, solenoids, ect).
If one thinks he has a bad solenoid ...using a DVM to confirm the resistance would help rule out if they are the problem or not.
I thought the same thing was happening to mine (bad solenoid) before I did the test from the link I posted above. Turned out to be a cut wire going to the TPS.

corbinafly said:
There is no separate TCM on his 98. It's an integral part of the PCM.

Wrong, the TCM on the Cherokees was never integrated into the PCM. It did however move over to the drivers side of the dash somewhere along the way.

lawsoncl said:
Wrong, the TCM on the Cherokees was never integrated into the PCM. It did however move over to the drivers side of the dash somewhere along the way.
It did on the 4 cylinder models I believe, but you are correct. Just checked my FSM it's under the driver's side dash and there is a fuse in the TCM harness.

corbinafly said:
It did on the 4 cylinder models I believe, but you are correct. Just checked my FSM it's under the driver's side dash and there is a fuse in the TCM harness.
yeah i have a 98. the tcm is built into the pcm from what i hear....so im going to change out the solenoids and see where that takes me.:sunshine:

lawsoncl said:
if so how does it look?

Back