• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Cherokee 4.0 4x4 works perfect HELP!!

KB2ROCKET

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I just bought my first Jeep and my first 4x4
a 2001 yellow 4 door Cherokee sport powered by a 4.0 inline 6 and everything seems to work fine
I really like this jeep but the more I read about them the more scared I get I keep hearing what a great engine this is but it may leave me stranded without notice due to a crank sensor or a cam sensor
the purpose of this thread is to ask what can I do to keep my jeep in great condition beyond oil changes and filter changes? I Need to depend on this vehicle
this cherokee has 78,000 miles and will most likely never be used off road
have a good one jeepers

Rest easy, you made a good choice. The 4.0 is a reliable engine. Can the Crank Sensor go out causing you to be stranded? Sure. But this can happen in a number of vehicles, not to mention all kinds of other problems. Your Jeep won't be prone to more problems than any other vehicle on the road, perhaps (says this contributor) less. Keep things cool and lubricated, keep up with maintenance and these things are tanks. Drive easy...

I am thinking I will replace these sensor's now and keep the old ones as spares this will give me a chance to figure out what tools will be required to put in a kit in case I need to change one out in a remote location

welcome aboard! Nice to see another yellow XJ around.

my crankshaft sensor died last summer. I haven't had any other major issues, aside from the starter that died 2 years ago (which was mostly due to too much mud and sand). Currently at 95,000 miles and I abuse it regularly on the local trails.

I have owned 3 Cherokees. Two have had the CPS ( Crank Position Sensor ) fail and were replaced when the Jeep wouldn't start. A 1997 at 174,952 miles. A 1999 at 147,853 miles. My 2000 has 91,458 and the CPS is fine. I just carry a spare CPS. I have never replaced a Cam Positon Sensor.

Last edited:
THANK YOU for the pictures they were just what I was hopeing to see a yellow cherokee modifyed
may I use one of your pictures on my web page to show stock vs. modifyed ?
COOL jeep
the guys I am going to car pool with
call mine the "Short Bus" :)

Tim I am starting to get a feel for how often the crank sensor goes out. maybe a good plan for me would be to just replace it every 50K miles and keep a spare handy then if they start to accumulate give them to other jeepers

it's a pain to replace... just fyi. it's easier if you unbolt the transmission crossmember (use a jack to support it!) and lower it down an inch or two so you can reach it better. you'll still need a bunch of extensions and a ujoint extension for your wrench.

as for the pics, do whatever you like. I found a lifted yellow XJ when I was working at Camp Jeep a few months after I bought mine and parked next to it to take a picture. ;) Here's a pic of that Jeep: www.whatevah.com/future.jpg As you can see, I've done some things differently than he did (more lift for the tire size, different rack, bumper, different rock rails, kept the flares, etc) but it was a great inspiration to see "my jeep".

Yeah, you'll get used to the short bus jokes. ;)

185k on a '90, replaced the CPS once, not as hard as it seemed. I don't carry a spare, most don't. If you suspect it, unplug it, reconnect, and try starting again. Often it will. With 78K, you may trade it before that ever happens. (Horrors! You will regret that!)

18 million Cherokees don't have big problems with it any more than most other makes and models. Better an XJ than the infamous Exploder with the 4.0 V6 pushrod - head gaskets go quicker in them that the CPS in a Cherokee, in my experience. And there's two of them.

I just spent a few hours under the hood and on the ground getting aquanted with the jeeps workings
and I can tell you this some people say carry a spare its a 5 min job but after taking a good hard look I tryed making a dog legged wrench to get it from the top nope that didnt work and there is no way from the bottom unless you drop the crossmember then I thought about cutting a pannel out of the trans tunnel but the center councel is in the way THEN lets say you get it out THEN it cant be unplugged because it is above the trans linkage and you cant even put one finger on it. I respectfully ask how many of you have really changed one of these and how did you really do it? this is not something you would want to do on a trail or in a parking lot
I have been mechanic for 30 years so far on
Tractors/cars/airplanes/rockets and Im not saying I cant change it out but I am saying its a lot harder to do on this model than some would have you believe
jeppers whats the trick :)

I said in my last post "it's a pain to replace". mine died at work on a Friday afternoon. loaded up for a weekend on the trails and ended up calling my brother to drive me home and drove up the next morning with extra tools to fight with it. Ended up taking a trip to Pep Boys for extra socket extensions (and a few checks on here for pictures). All in all, around 4 hours. Now that I've done it, I'm sure I could do it within an hour but it's still going to be a pain.

yep you got that right!
I might stop by the jeep dealer and see if I can talk to one of the mechanics maybe they can tell me how they do it I know they cant take 4 hours to do it like you and me other wise they would charge $240 in labor alone
at work their are some fasteners that are hard to get at so we made some special wrenches todays attempt to do that failed but Im goig to try again
what size are those bolts again? I bent up a 10mm wrench but I couldnt get it on the bolt head might me a 11mm or 12mm
LOL have you ever seen a guy put so much effort into a jeep that works fine? :)

they probably just put it up on a lift and use a long extension with a ujoint extension. it's a lot easier when you're not laying on your back in a parking lot. :) I don't remember what size the bolts were, sorry. I was able to touch the bolts with my fingers to test-fit the sockets because I was running a 1" transfercase drop kit. Like I said before, put a jack under the crossmember and lower the transmission/transfercase. It'll give you a good bit of extra room between the trans tunnel and the transmission.

Park it on the grass. Get all the extensions for your socket sets you have. About two + feet of extensions works good. Put a wobble adapter on the very end. Lay on the ground and put the whole mess of extensions up the side of the bell housing and work the ratchet from near the cross member. Don't drop the CPS bolts into the bell housing. First time takes a while. I have it down to a 20 minute job.

LOL I cant lay in the grass around here the fire ants would kill me :)
I guess I just need to put it in the garage and have at it the problem of unpluging it hasnt been addressed by anyone on my cherokee the plug is above the trans linkage I can see it but cant touch it
thanks for all the comments
check out this it is vauge instructions for replacing the sensor
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_yo...okee_Laredo_-_4.0_6_cylinder_-_4x4_-_standard
here is some info on all the sensors I can tell this was witten by a regular guy its kinda funny
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

Last edited:
I talked to my usual mechanic (which don't use now that I've found NAXJA!) about changing my CPS.
I didn't like what I heard. So, I searched, pulled out all my extensions and went at it.
At first the top bolt was too tight to take a chance of breaking without a carefull and straight shot, so I had to drop the cross member and skid for access.
I installed the new one after slotting one mounting hole, tried to fire up the Cherokee, no work, bad sensor!
Second try with bolts not frozen wasn't hard at all.
Starting behind the T.C. I used a couple of long extensions to get close, a wobble end extension, a 3 inch extension and a short swivel socket filled with grease to hold the bolt.
Fit fine and came right out and went back in without having to move anything else.
I even told my mechanic for the next time he has to change one.

Welcome to NAXJA!
Learn to search because several of us have already done "it" before.
Join because just this one tip has saved you the membership. You don't need a modified Cherokee, but it helps.

Mike

I wonder if mine has ever been replaced if so it may be slotted
I still would like to Fab up a special wrench so the bolts can be broke loose from the top & if you have a slotted sensor the whole job can be done from the top
DAM! I forgot about the connector where is it plugged in
did I mis trace it? cuz the connection on mine is in a spot just above the shift linkage on the side of the trans where I cant even touch it
IS this right? I dont hear anyone else complaining about the connector

Back