• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unbolting swaybar made simple?

OverTheHillsATTW

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how I can unbolt my swaybar simply? I was trying to get behind it but the steering stabilizer was in the way. I tried to loosen just the top bolt and it's not going very easy. I did some searching but couldn't find it explained. If it has been covered which im sure it had and you know where to find it please direct me. I want to get my lift on. :roll:

Loosen the nuts on the swaybar links then drive over a rock, they'll come off..

if your trying to get the sway bar off, it can be a pain. i had to spray mine down with pb blaster for a while. i unbolted the nut on the top of the link (sway bar end), and was able to move the sway bar up until it was free of the link.

the lower part is a pain in the but. the "bolt" that connects the link to the axle is not a bolt at all. its a splined stud. even though it has (i believe) a torx head on it, it will NOT turn. i broke both a torx and an allen bit trying when i first was lifting my xj almost 3 years ago. i was able to take a tie rod end remover (not the pickle fork type) and press them out when i installed my jks discos. the tre press that i had was too short for the bolt, so i ended up having to cut the bolt then press it out. a pitman arm puller would be easier as it is longer.

some told me to whack it out with a BFH. that only resulted in bending the bracket on the axle end for me.

hth
stewie

stewie said:
if your trying to get the sway bar off, it can be a pain. i had to spray mine down with pb blaster for a while. i unbolted the nut on the top of the link (sway bar end), and was able to move the sway bar up until it was free of the link.

the lower part is a pain in the but. the "bolt" that connects the link to the axle is not a bolt at all. its a splined stud. even though it has (i believe) a torx head on it, it will NOT turn. i broke both a torx and an allen bit trying when i first was lifting my xj almost 3 years ago. i was able to take a tie rod end remover (not the pickle fork type) and press them out when i installed my jks discos. the tre press that i had was too short for the bolt, so i ended up having to cut the bolt then press it out. a pitman arm puller would be easier as it is longer.

some told me to whack it out with a BFH. that only resulted in bending the bracket on the axle end for me.

hth
stewie

That's how I did mine too. The only difference was I used an air hammer to pop them out instead of a TRE press. The TRE press works well.

Back