• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow bar install on JCR bumper

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I need to install one of those A-frame tow bars so I can flat tow the XJ. I already have a JCR front bumper. I was hoping to figure out a way to modify the tow bar to fit into the D-ring tabs. Either that or I have to bolt the tow bar brackets onto the bumper.

Any Ideas?

Not sure how to best bolt the brackets on as the bumper is square tube. Do I need to drill out access holes in the back side? Or can I just take the brackets down and have them welded onto the bumper?

Wish I could figure a way to connect to the D-ring tabs!

I'm with you. Try to modify the Tow bar.

Have you got the tow bar brackets that are a "U" shaped bracket bolted to the bumper? How about cutting a slot in the tow bar end wide enough for it to slip over the D-ring bracket, then replace the connection pins with grade 8 bolts?

Don't have the tow bar yet, was hoping to avoid installing the brackets and going with the D-ring tabs.

If the brackets do have to be installed, wondering the best way to bolt em on without having to cut access holes in the back side of the bumper.

Not sure weld on would be stronge enough?

Is this a "one time" thing,or a permanent tow bar?

go talk to Hellbilly04 in huntington beach, he can make anything! i suggest making a towbar that will fit. you can buy the tow hitch coupler (the part that hooks onto the ball) at NAPA, and have Billy fab up the bar part.

pm lobsterdmb he gots a towbar setup on a JCR bumper

I'd like to see some pictures. I need to do this too. Billy may have to make 2 sets. :)

Johnny,

I PM'd you. But thought I would post here too.

Do you have any issues with having two pivot points at the bumper? Seems like it might create a lot of movement when stopping and taking off.

What do you use to connect the bracket to the bumper tabs?

Thanks

Back