• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready to click "order" for my first lift

duntov

NAXJA Forum User
I have a quick question though...does anyone run the 2" OME suspension lift with 245/75/16 on Moab wheels? I am trying to get a lift just high enough to clear these tires. I don't want to go too high. Just trying to clear some bigger tires and go trail riding. Pretty much easy stuff. Also putting on a set of JKS QDs.

Greg

IMO, get the 3" kit (with the OME934 "ZJ" coils). The 2" or "medium" kit is pretty darn soft and you wont get 2" of lift with the 930 coils.

If you're going to spend the money for a OME kit, get the 3" lift. It's not worth the $ for 2". Check out this site:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
or do a search here on NAXJA(try "bastard pack" & "ZJ V-8 springs". You can go 1..5 to 2" easy with stock/junkyard parts.

Oh yea: post pics when you're done.

Don't drop the T-case - go with a SYE....please.

Do you think I'll need a SYE or do you think I'll be lucky? I guess it is a crapshoot. Either you have vibes or you don't. I guess I could cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Greg

I've got a 3" lift w/ the same tire and wheel setup that you are going for. I didn't have to drop the Tcase or get a SYE.

duntov said:
Do you think I'll need a SYE or do you think I'll be lucky? I guess it is a crapshoot. Either you have vibes or you don't. I guess I could cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Greg

I went with a SYE before I even did my lift. It's stronger and just a better design overall. I didnt have to worry about vibrations (and never really will) no matter how high I lift my XJ.

Don't drop the T-case - go with a SYE....please.

Please send him the extra $$ to do it. You guys drive me nuts suggesting SYE's to guys going less than 4". Give me a break. Spend the $35 and take the 5 minutes to try the TC drop first THEN spend the money on the SYE if you need it. Yes a TC drop is a band aid but a very effective one that can last the life of the vehicle......

Camo-5 said:
Please send him the extra $$ to do it. You guys drive me nuts suggesting SYE's to guys going less than 4". Give me a break. Spend the $35 and take the 5 minutes to try the TC drop first THEN spend the money on the SYE if you need it. Yes a TC drop is a band aid but a very effective one that can last the life of the vehicle......

Sure, and it can trash your motor mounts faster, leading to your exhaust manifold cracking or your fan hitting your radiator, or your downpipe hitting your driveshaft....

You have much reading to do. Better to do it right the first time...its not THAT expensive, I did mine for right around $250, and had I been smart, could have done it for less than $200 if I would have found the PORC SYE for $165.

and had I been smart, could have done it for less than $200 if I would have found the PORC SYE for $165

Sorry, I don't think so. Are you forgetting about driveshafts or maybe the fact that he can't do the SYE himself and needs to spend $200+ on labor?

I'm not arguing that a SYE isn't the best way to go, I'm just saying it doesn't have to be the first thing if you don't get vibes and are going up under 4"......

I have an RE 3.5" kit in mine, it gave me 4.5" I made some 3/4" spacers to drop the case until I get the SYE installed. It's hit or miss weather you will actually have to drop the case or not.

Insted of spending the money on a transfer case drop you can make on for free if you have some small scrap tube. But at 3 inches you probably wont even need that, I'm at 4.5 and dont have a drop or sye and no vibes..

xtimmax said:
Insted of spending the money on a transfer case drop you can make on for free if you have some small scrap tube. But at 3 inches you probably wont even need that, I'm at 4.5 and dont have a drop or sye and no vibes..
its because you have the old np231

Back