• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to remove top(not complete chop job)

M

Mac

Thinking about removing the roof from say the windshield back to either just past the rear seat or back near the hatch. I have a 4 door. I was thinking of just cutting either on the inside of the roof rack rails or just on the outside. Was not going to remove any of the A, B, C or D pillars. Doors would still be in place, rear qtr windows and back hatch. Then making some type of custom vinyl top to cover the opening. Figured if I left some sheet metal up there I could fab up some type of rail system to have a top that would be leak free.

I have an exo-cage currently(tied to front bumper, 3 places on rock rails and to the rear bumper). Do I need an internal cage? I don't want to tie them together b/c this may prevent me from putting a roof over the hole. What about something like Tennessee Offroad internal cage. Is it not necessary since not removing the pillars. Thanks

I believe you still need to do a cage as otherwise you'd "fold" on the spot where there is no top...... You should be able to fab a nice internal cage and tie it into EXO and still retain the ability to put the top on if you plan things right...
Kejtar

Hey do you have any pictures of your roll cage? I am trying to design an exo without an internal cage and its proving quite difficult to get the geometry right.

vinyl top on XJ

I have an 84 that I cut the top from the front to just above the rear seats. I made the mistake of going industrial velcro which eventuallly peeled off. It lasted close to a year with no leaks, etc.
I purchased a Wrangler windshield channel and a snap kit for the next time. It definitely was awesome to have. I found trim that fit around the sharp edge and gave it a factory look. I kept the support above the driver's side and just put pipe padding over it.

Re: vinyl top on XJ

XtremeJ said:
I have an 84 that I cut the top from the front to just above the rear seats. I made the mistake of going industrial velcro which eventuallly peeled off. It lasted close to a year with no leaks, etc.
I purchased a Wrangler windshield channel and a snap kit for the next time. It definitely was awesome to have. I found trim that fit around the sharp edge and gave it a factory look. I kept the support above the driver's side and just put pipe padding over it.

Did you build any type of internal cage? Where sid you cut the top(inside or outside of roof rack rails). Did you wheel it like this and have you developed any twisting of the unibody--doors hard to shut, cracks etc), This is really just going to be a very large sunroof. I will probably buy the TOR cage just for strength and added protection and might try to tie it into my current cage. Any pics.

if you are doing a sunroof along with your choptop, you'll have great opportunities to reinforce the roof with new crossmembers.

I chopped the top kinda where you describe, have the biggest pop-up-pop-out sunroof I could find, and am running an internal/external cage and a uniframe support pan....

I highly suggest you think about an internal cage as your "skeleton" and build an external from that...best of both worlds, and since yer choppin the top, you almost have no excuse to do so!

If I cut the middle of the roof out(once again this will be done on either side of the roof rack rails-just not sure) and cut just past the rear seat and put on a vinyl top. Now, I could take some tubing and run a V down to the body from one of my loops that goes over the roof already. This loop on the outside of the body is just behind the rear seat. This could give me some more support. Other than this is a full internal cage(like Tenessee Offroad) really necessary.

Georgia Mike said:
Check out Street Beat customs. They manufacture almost any size sliding rag top you'd ever want. Would make things a LOT easier on you!

I will check it out. I stopped by a local upholstery shop/custom top place and showed them the XJ and what I was looking at doing. They said it would be in the $200-$300 range. They would use snaps though which is not what I was looking for. I really want some type of slide into a channel type deal which would be more H20 tight. Thanks

there is a company that sells aftermarket rag tops for vw's. i think there is one for a van it might work on a xj. they might custom make you one if you can find them. i don't remember there name but you can probly find them if you search.

thats the company georgiaMike was talking about. Street Beat. fellow XJer/ VW nut. they make one for a type 3 squareback that would probably work perfectly. or even one for a type 2 pre-67 microbus deluxe would work also. i'll try and dig up their number for you, not sure if theyv'e discovered the internet yet.
Rockhound

your a hippie!!??
you aren't the one hopping out of a jacked up cherokee with a VW tattoo on both of your calves, wearing a beard and trying to explain your tattoos when you drive a jeep. wow, i miss my bugs!

found it

hey Mac,
here you go bud. just found this.35x55 sliding ragtop the picture shows it installed on what i believe to be a ZJ. i went out and measured and you could definitely fit a 40x55 between the rack rails if you wanted but its another hundred bucks. sounds like a swingin deal though for a complete kit. good luck
Rockhound
PS- maybe i should try to leave my sawzall at work for the next few weeks

Re: found it

Rockhound said:
hey Mac,
here you go bud. just found this.35x55 sliding ragtop the picture shows it installed on what i believe to be a ZJ. i went out and measured and you could definitely fit a 40x55 between the rack rails if you wanted but its another hundred bucks. sounds like a swingin deal though for a complete kit. good luck
Rockhound
PS- maybe i should try to leave my sawzall at work for the next few weeks

Even at 40" wide I think it's not quite enough. I want to go in excess of 45" which will put me right outside the roof rack rails. ANything smaller I think will seem more of a sunroof and I want to get the convertible feeling of having no roof. I'll be taking off all 4 doors as well so it should be pretty nice.

Those look great though. I know they could custom make a wider one but then I'm probably close to $600 and at that point not really worth it.

right on. well have fun with it man. this has really got me thinking. been wanting to do something similar for a while but keep putting it aside. just may have to do it this time. good luck
Rockhound

Rockhound said:
right on. well have fun with it man. this has really got me thinking. been wanting to do something similar for a while but keep putting it aside. just may have to do it this time. good luck
Rockhound

I think my plan right now is to cut about 2-3" in front of the windshield and go back to just before the C pillar(this should be right above the back seat area). This way I only give up the B pillar support. Then, run an internal cage with 2 leg supports in the front by the dash and 2 leg supports in front of the back seat. Then put in a cross bar under the 2-3" overhang up front and over the 2 posts in the back seat. Put in a seat belt harness in the middle as well as a dash bar. Where I'll still have a roof in the back, I'm going to cut through the roof and bring in 2 pipes from my exo cage and bring them down in a V shape and weld to the floor. Tie the V together with a cross bar and then bring the pipe from that point to the rear bar that is above the back seat(this will run from back to front). Should give me plenty of support for the amount of sheet metal I'm removing. Anyone else have any input? Thanks for the replies.

Back