• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New... Cheap lifts??

XJBARNEY

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a 92 XJ for $250. Now I want to lift it. Any one know af a good cheap lift kit? Looking for around 4 in. Also wheels and tires?? What do you guys recomend?? Thanks Casey

Lift: rough country 4.5 with leafs

Wheels: Cragar soft 8

Tires: Dayton Timberline M/T

This would be a cheap good setup if you were looking at all new stuff. My friend just got some 33 inch Dayton Timberline M/T for $154 a tire and that was with mounting and balancing. But it all depends on what you want to do with your xj.

XJBARNEY said:
Bought a 92 XJ for $250. Now I want to lift it. Any one know af a good cheap lift kit? Looking for around 4 in. Also wheels and tires?? What do you guys recomend?? Thanks Casey

Where do you guy find these things!?!?! I guess I need to start looking at the junk yards.

Just do like i do, if i see one that was sitting for awhile i''ll ask to buy it....Most of the time they have a starting problem.. cps, you know the stuff.

While in school for the Navy a guy i know was trying to replace the wheelbearing/hub assembly. He tried for three weeks and couldnt get it. So he told me I could have it for 250. Gave him the money then went and wsed a AIR chisel have it all done within two hours.

muckleroy said:
Where do you guy find these things!?!?! I guess I need to start looking at the junk yards.
Found mine on craigslist.
PO said trans was not working correctly(shop wanted $1500 to repair). All they wanted was to pay the shop bill on some work that was done (shop had the rig) $300. Turned out to be a wire cut right where they (the shop) replaced the brake booster. Butt connector fixed it.... been good ever since.

Bought mine for $200. It would run, but only for a few seconds at a time. I cut the CPS sensor plug out and butt connected the wires back together, and it's been running ever since.

Right - cheap lifts.
If you are willing to do a little work on it, throw some 80s Thunderbird coil springs under it. Keep the top of the Mcphereson strut and drill the center hole out to fit over your bump stop - there is a thread on it here - and get yourself 3.5".
Get another set of leaf springs from a cherokee, take apart both sets (yours and the JY set you scored for 50$) and put them all together (cut the eyes off the JY main spring), then add junkyard spring shackles from a Commanche. Should be about 3.5" with great reports about ride quality.
Stock wheels should be fine.
Some JYs stock tires in decent shape. If you can find a decent set of JY tires, ballance them with a few packets of airsoft BBs and they should roll fine while you save some cash for the new set you'll be wanting.
I know, I know, JY tires, flame on...

Go to the Junk yard get v8 Grand cherokee coils coil isolators and a leaf spring pack that isn't sagging off a Cherokee. Cut out the main leaf and mate it with your pack like an AAL and you get about 2.5" for less than a Budget boost. You can do it so many ways to get whichever lift you desire. s10 main leafs f150 main leafs things like that. Search the web and you will find a good way to lift for cheap.

My Jeep was 150$ woo...

Back