• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Hard To Replace T-Case

BigBlueHO

NAXJA Forum User
How hard is it to replace my transfer case. What does it consist of. Any fluids involved or can I unbolt it, pull it off and put the new one up and bolt it on? Thanks for the help in advance.:helpme:

romove both driveshafts, i belive its 6 bolts, and 1 or 2 sensors, a stubby 9/16 rachet wrench helps alot

Abd yes. It slides right off after unbolting and won't make a huge fluid mess.

Edit: rear of the trans will be open at this point an can spill fluid IF you angle it down too far.

Ok so Im going to do this tomorrow. I have a 3 ton jack I hope that will do. So When I pull it off no oil is going to come gushing out? good to know. That was my concern. Yeah Its 6 nuts. 2 plugs and the linkage.

BigBlueHO said:
Ok so Im going to do this tomorrow. I have a 3 ton jack I hope that will do. So When I pull it off no oil is going to come gushing out? good to know. That was my concern. Yeah Its 6 nuts. 2 plugs and the linkage.
What year? '96 models got a sealed output so you won't have leakage issues when you tilt it. Earlier ones will need you to seal up the output or you'll drain the ATF unexpectedly.

Unless you have a tranny jack adapter on that 3-ton jack, it might be a better idea to just press the t-case out by hand. Get an assistant to help if needed; I believe the wet weight of the NP231 was something like 65 (or 85?) pounds. It's not unmanageable, but it's not something you want to balance on top of a jack, either.

Sounds like you've got the rest of it figured out already. Good luck.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I found it was easier to just pull it out and put it back in myself, without a jack. If you drop the crossmember, and use a jack under the transmission to lower it down, you can get to the nuts for the tcase with a socket and extension on all but one I think. If you have gear wrenches, use that instead and it will go a lot faster.

Yucca-Man said:
What year? '96 models got a sealed output so you won't have leakage issues when you tilt it. Earlier ones will need you to seal up the output or you'll drain the ATF unexpectedly.

Unless you have a tranny jack adapter on that 3-ton jack, it might be a better idea to just press the t-case out by hand. Get an assistant to help if needed; I believe the wet weight of the NP231 was something like 65 (or 85?) pounds. It's not unmanageable, but it's not something you want to balance on top of a jack, either.

Sounds like you've got the rest of it figured out already. Good luck.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Its a '93 model so I guess no seal. All Well. lol Yeah my brother is bring over a tranny jack today, so hopefully I get off work early enough to get this done my monday. Going to TSF monday.

It's easier to get under there on a creeper, drop it on your chest and have someone grab your legs to pull you out. It helps if the jeep is up on jackstands too. I just pulled the 242 out of my wifes ZJ, I was afraid I was going to strip the fill plug when I started doing fluid changes, took me about 30 min out, 5 min on the bench, 20 min back in. Sore shoulder blades too, I'm working on my gravel driveway so no creeper. I'm starting on the TJ in a few minutes and will basically do the same thing if the either fill or drain plugs give me any problems. The XJ gets the treatment next weekend when the daughter brings it back up from philly for it's spring maintenance.

Does anyone have any ballpark idea on how much the 242 weighs?

I've been considering swapping from part to full time, but I only have an older floor jack and I'm not that motivated to get a tranny jack for this.

82lbs IIRC-- had to ship one to Texas and Pack-N-Post wouldn't ship over 75lbs. That included the plastic tote it was in, but no fluid, so I'd guess about the same weight. It was a NP242 as well.

Back