• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about c-rok plate

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I need your guys opinion on this.....
I'm building a steering box reinforcement plate like c-rok pictured below...my question is:Is The part of the brace circled in black below that wraps under the frame rail and ties into the swaybar mount necessary?I mean how much strength does it actually provide?

It would be alot easier for me to not have my plate wrapped under like that because I dont have a brake.....will it be strong enough without the wrap around?

the JCR plates are basically the same design, without the swaybar mount tie-in, and they are plenty strong... it would add some strength but i dont think its really needed.

The plate's not welded on, so its main function will be to prevent tear-thru of the frame if you manage to tweak the box hard enough. I assume the plate runs forward to the bumper mount bolts, and you can see in the photo there is a hole in the rear of the plate that lined up with a bushed hole in the frame(unused in the photo) If you make your plate with those, and use them, the bottom bolts probably won't make a huge dif.

I have a very similar design on my front winch bumper. Was it needed, maybe not, but while your there and have it torn apart, you may as well.

I just cut a piece of 1/4'' and then welded it to the rest of the bracket. No need for a brake.

yea thats what I'm doing.....In the above pic (I have the same bumper)I will weld onto the bumper bracket essentially turning it into a c-rok style reinforcement plate.I think that while I'm in there I will add some bushings inside the frame for the three steering box bolts.

I know c-rok offers an inside bracket that goes in between the box and frame to replace the factory one.Should I consider fabbing this aswell???

Outlander: If you look close at the photo you posted, you can see bumper mount carefully slides around the steering box bolts(note the 1/2 moon cut above the rearmost bolt. the third (top) bolt is barely visible behind the fender brace.) To brace the steering, you need a plate that goes under all three bolts. By the way, to save you some trouble, the frame is already bushed around those 3 holes.

Back