• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start

rparker762

NAXJA Forum User
I had wheeled my 96 XJ all day Friday, came home and parked it. Noticed a better parking spot so about an hour or two later, I went out and moved it. Everything was fine. This morning I go out and it just cranks. I have fuel, but no spark. I have all power but the Check engine light does not come on with just keying the ignition nor does it at anytime. I assume that either my computer is bad or it is not getting power but I don't know where to start. I've checked the battery connections and the grounds and found no problems other than the neg cable was loose on the battery. We did have a big rain last night an I figured water ran under my hood scoop but Now it's still not working. Anyone have anythoughts?

How did you verify that you have fuel but no spark?

A quick and dirty way to check is to spray starting fluid into the intake. If it starts momentarily, then you have a fuel delivery problem (ie: pump, reg, etc). If it doesn't even fire with starting fluid, then yea....you probably have no spark.

First thing to check with a no spark is the crankshaft position sensor. IMHO, it is the most common sensor fail on the XJ. You can check it with a meter via resistance readings. Use the SEARCH function for more information. Without the input signal from the crank sensor to the computer, you will have neither spark nor fuel to the injectors.

No spark can also mean your coil crapped out. Again, you can check primary and secondary resistances with a basic meter.

P.S. Sure it could be the computer but the odds are very high that it is something else; computer failures are more rare than you may think.

Good luck and post back what you find!

It lives!!! My buddy came over to help me tow it to the dealership. I tried to start it 10 minutes before he got here. Nothing. Then, he pulls up, hooks up the tow rope and I go to put it in neutral. Look over and the check engine light comes on.
FaShizzleSmiley.jpg
Turn the key and she fires right up!
aagh.gif
I can't take any chances so I decided to take it to the dealer anyways with my buddy behind me. It ran rough for a few minutes but she surged once and died. I pulled over and my buddy pulled in front of me to finish the trip. As soon as he backed up the check engine light came back on and she fired up again.... So I dropped it off and wont hear back until monday but I figure she said she'd be damed if she was going to be towed by a Chevy.....
laugh2.gif
Odd though, still no codes being thrown and when it died, the check engine light wouldn't come back on until he was ready to hook up again....

Back