• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air in power steering

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok.. so yesterday i swapped in a new pwr steering box.. much to my suprise.. when i put new ps fluid in the res.. i started the jeep up and the fluid looks like choc milk.. and all bubbles..

how do i go about getting the air out of the box??

easy fix or not?

Did you drain out all the oil fluid?

Keep watching the level and top off as needed while you turn the steering from one extreme to the other and back. Keep doing this and it will eventually purge out the air in the lines from the swap.

Start engine.

Turn steering to "full lock" and "bounce off the lock" 2-3 times. DO NOT hold your steering at full lock!

Turn steering to the other lock and repeat.

Top off pump. (You don't need to turn it off to do this.)

Repeat until you don't have to top off the fluid anymore - usually it's done in 2-3 cycles.

Check again in about a week, to make sure there weren't any "hidden bubbles" that you would have missed.

stxcherokee said:
sure this might work.. but i am looking in the res... and it is all bubbles.. tinny bubbles.. looks like a kid blew through the straw into a cup

Ayuh - you're purging air from the box and the lines. Air is going to rise to the highest point in the system - once freed - and that means the P/S reservoir. Bounce it back and forth a couple of times, top off each time, and check again in a week. You'll be fine - it's always worked that way for me.

5-90 said:
Start engine.

Turn steering to "full lock" and "bounce off the lock" 2-3 times. DO NOT hold your steering at full lock!

Turn steering to the other lock and repeat.

Top off pump. (You don't need to turn it off to do this.)

Repeat until you don't have to top off the fluid anymore - usually it's done in 2-3 cycles.

Check again in about a week, to make sure there weren't any "hidden bubbles" that you would have missed.

X2 this will work, the only thing I would add is to get the wheels off the ground so there is no "pressure" on the pump. It will bleed quicker this way.

stxcherokee said:
ok.. so yesterday i swapped in a new pwr steering box.. much to my suprise.. when i put new ps fluid in the res.. i started the jeep up and the fluid looks like choc milk.. and all bubbles..

The fluid in the 96 that steering box came out of was pretty dirty. Did swapping it fix your steering problem?

Back