• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carpet

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so i removed my carpet from the xj and it's pretty dirty, my wifes stupid little green machine isn't working well.....can I put this in the washing machine? anyone tried this yet?

TIA

doug

H8PVMT said:
so i removed my carpet from the xj and it's pretty dirty, my wifes stupid little green machine isn't working well.....can I put this in the washing machine? anyone tried this yet?

TIA

doug
Are you talking about the entire passenger section? I would think it would be much much too large and heavy unless you have a commercial washer of some sort. The cargo area might be a different story but I would still be dubious about it. I don't know, give it a try and keep us posted :D.

Any sources for OEM replacement carpets? It seems like every XJ I get was owned by someone whose pet liked to releive themselves in the back. Not bad when dry, but when the wet scuba gear is thrown on top it stinks.

Any suppliers worth dealing with?

Thanks,

Mark

it's just the cargo area, I pulled it out and don't know yet if I am going to re-install it, of course I would take it to a laudry mat, it's too large for mine.

as for replacement they are pretty pricey to get a decent one, best I saw was just shy of 200, you can check 4wd or jcw or even quadratec I think sells it.

I guess I'll trek to the mat and check in when its done I'll even toss it in with some of that infomercial stuff the dude with the beard sells.....come ack with two reviews :eeks1:

doug

Make sure you remove the diaper material and any padding. Wash on cool or warm. OXY-Clean sucks and I'm sick of listening to Billy Mays YELL. Use some Woolite and test it , then work up to a heavier detergent if needed. I would not put it in a hot dryer, let it spin out and maybe a cool dryer or let air dry.
I wouldn't put any padding back in that will act like a diaper, either bed coat or Dynamat. JMHO

I took it out, removed the jute padding from the bottom and washed it with dish soap, then rinsed the hell out of it. Let it dry for a few days. Glued some new padding onto the bottom and it looked (and smelled) like new.

ideally I would like to fix the rust and *cough* rot *cough* and hurculine the whole thing but when I used my trusty search function a lot of people say the fumes are overwhelming, although I have a manual, don't know if that makes a difference, but I do prefer the bedliner look

any one have a definate answer?

what about on long trips, when the tranny and exhaust heat up and heat the floorboards, if I'm not mistaken the fabric under the carpet also blocks heat, which when missing would heat up the bedliner causing fumes...

anyone had this for a while?

Herc has it's drawbacks.

Most folks around here just use a carwash on their carpets when removed.

Some don't bother to remove them.

I've had mine herc'd for about 6 months now and when it initially went in it was still pretty cold but fumes weren't to bad with windows cracked. After a few days the fumes were gone, I daily drive it 30 min to work and back and when i get to work can place my hand anywhere on the floor and it's only slightly warm. No more fumes or anything to worry about.

i took my carpet to a do it your self car wash. i layed in on the ground ans used the soap with the high pressure to get it clean then i rinsed it all out teally well and it did a really good job of cleaning it. i would suggest pretreating any really bad areas.

the carpet smelled really nice once it was clean too

Back