• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 same for ax-15 and aw4?

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
I think i need to replace my transfer case, np231, and i need to find a replacement. It seems they are pretty tough to find at a good deal but even harder to find out of a manual tranny jeep. My question is will i be able to get a np231 out of any aw4 cherokee to directly bolt into my 95 xj with a ax-15 tranny?

ok good to know since i've heard different things from different people. Some guy tried to sell me one for 450 and said it was hard to find one that will mate up to an ax15. Just took my tcase out today so hopefully i can find a replacement soon that is reasonably priced.

I'm not an np231 expert. I believe the only differences between the models and years are the spline count change. I have seen references to a short or long input shaft but I'm not sure it's an issue with the XJs. A np231 from a Wrangler will have the bolting holes a little different, effectively "clocking" it so the drivers side drop sits higher up towards the body. This thread has a little bit more info. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=902799

$450 is a ripoff, btw. I can get tem for $50 at the local salvage yard. A rebuild kit is around $200.

thanks for the link. im going to look into it some more, seems the only difference may be the input shaft length. Now i just need to figure out exactly whats wrong with my tcase and decide whether to rebuild or buy a used one.

Back