• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Cherokee wont start

thecruger

NAXJA Forum User
98 Cherokee 4.0 ran great.. on my way to work the other day got in started fine as always.. made it maybe a mile up the road started running rough.. and died.. i managed to get it home at an idle pumping the peddle.
now it wont start .. i checked fuel press. its at 45psi .. has new tps, new iac, new o2 sensors, new map sensor new coil and a few other new parts... now if i spray some starter fluid in the throttle body it will start and idle fine and stay running as long as i give it a squirt every few seconds... could the CPS be the problem, i know the book says it controls spark and injector pulse.. i thought it was the fuel pump till i did the press test on it..
please help ...

thank you all

Have you replaced the fuel? Could it be bad gas?

Sh*t at 45 psi is still Sh*t. ;)

thecruger said:
have not replaced fuel... i thought about that as well .. i plan to drain the tank and put fresh in it...

You might save some time by calling the place where you bought the fuel, and ask if they've had any recent issues. Not sure if they'd be honest with you but it might tell you instantly that is the problem..

Let us know what the final solution is. I have a 1998 and you got me worried! lol

jeep is back up and running ...

it was bad gas .. i thought it might be.. drained the tank and flushed the lines ..
runs like a top again...

thank all for your opinions...

thecruger said:
jeep is back up and running ...

it was bad gas .. i thought it might be.. drained the tank and flushed the lines ..
runs like a top again...

thank all for your opinions...

Ok give it up, who sold you the bad gas?

It was my own fault .. i put 5 gal of gas in a cj-7 i bought ...(thought it was empty)
it's going to need a motor so i did not want to waste the gas,
i pumped the gas back out of it and put it in my Cherokee,
not realizing there must have been old gas or water in the tank ..(wont make that mistake again)

so at least i figured it out before spending the money on a CPS or a $200 fuel pump..

:doh:

With the price of gas, I'm sure many many people will be trying to do the same thing. I'm glad you figured it out, and know why it happened.

I know I feel better about my 98 now. ;)

Back