• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New HD leafs, AAL okay ?

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my rear leafs, and i'm looking to buy a complete kit now to replace my BB. However, since my rear leafs have less than 5,000 miles on them do you think it would be alright to use an AAL in the rear ?

Also, I was going to go with a 3.5" kit, do I need a new track bar for that much lift ?

camarors8992 said:
I just replaced my rear leafs, and i'm looking to buy a complete kit now to replace my BB. However, since my rear leafs have less than 5,000 miles on them do you think it would be alright to use an AAL in the rear ?

Also, I was going to go with a 3.5" kit, do I need a new track bar for that much lift ?

I don't like AAL. I would always favor leaf spring replacement over AAL. With that said, when I bought my 4.5" lift, I bought it with AAL. I just couldn't afford the full leaf packs at the time, and I needed to get my XJ up in the air to get the fresh meat (tires) on it. So there's always a good excuse. ;)

Maybe you can sell your 5k springs to someone who wants stock replacements.

I put quadratec HD springs on my XJ in 2003. In January of this year I put on a 3" RC add-a-leaf lift on. It's doing fine so far. I would say if your springs aren't sagging to go ahead with the add-a-leaf. Full packs are better, but more $$.

When I bought my XJ with 150K it had a lift, unknown mileage on the lift. There was a set of instructions in the glovebox for a 4 inch trailmaster lift. The back had an add-a-leaf and it had saged to 3 inches on one side and 2.75 on the other side.
I just installed a set of Clayton 4.5 inch lift leaf springs and 31's and ditched the rear swaybar. The ride is much better.
I don't know much about steering geometry so I can't help you with the trackbar question.

~Alex

I have run an aal and a block(uh oh ha ha ha) for over a year on 160k leafs and it has just sagged a bit after my recent trailer towing but other then a bit stiff and not much flex its ok

My '94 XJ has Rubicon Express full length AAL's that I installed at 70,000 miles. It started out with providing 3.5" of lift after I removed the lower leaf from the spring pack. After a couple of wheeling trips and a few heavy loads settled at 3".

Fast forward to 2008, a bunch of wheeling trips and a bunch of loads up to about or over a ton a few times. Guess what? The rear has sagged to 2.75" of lift after 75,000 miles and 9 years.

Everybody seems to trash AAL's, but mine have been great. If I put the stock lower leaf back in it would have 3" of lift again.

Just think they were called a 2.5" AAL... Maybe in 9 more years they will sag to the advertised amount of lift.

I just hauled 25 bags of concrete(60lb each) about 15 miles today. It handled great at 60-65mph and that was with 500lbs of people in it too.

They are kind of stiff, but still flex good. Money well spent....

I just installed RE2.5 AAL, and 2 S-10 leafs. I'm now at 5" rear.
Shackle angle sucks but relocation provisions to be made soon.

Back