• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so i cracked open a can of worms today

rowley65flip

NAXJA Forum User
swapin out the 2.5 and dash/whole interior in the 87 for a 4.0 and dash/interior from a 97. any advice? Its going to be a long weekend..........

jeepswap1033.jpg

jeepswap1031.jpg

yea id guess older vette

ooohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

oh come on whats wrong with the stock one hes got on?

This is pretty funny. The OP starts a thread about his XJ project and everyone is discussing whats under the tarp.
Nothing wrong with that, I just find it amusing. Carry on.

AS to the swap. You are going from a Renix to a H.O. so you need to search that swap. I thing the big issue is going to be the sensors are different and the intake and TB are also different. There is an adapter I am told made be Hesco that uses the new TB on the old manifold. I have no experience with the aforementioned adapter just know that it exists.
Many people just retain the Renix head and intake/exhaust on the new block. That allows all the Renix sensors to be retained except the knock sensor which was eliminated by being absorbed into the H.O. electronics.
Just a few of the hurdles I see you haveing to face. BTW what year Vette is that you are hiding.:yap:
Blue:)

well under the tarp is a 73 vette. The motor is out and is sitting behind it because it broke some welds on the frame from tweakin it.....its a fun car.

and i have been researching this swap for about 3 months. Im just taking EVERYTHING from the 97 and swaping it over.

Everything would be the easy way, but its going to be a ton more work. However so much changed during that time span......How bad is Oregon for smog? In California I would just buy the newer model to avoid the smog referee.....

PhotographerMike said:
While you're at it you might want to swap the brake master cylinder and anything else not A.B.S. The early Cherokees have much weaker brakes than later ones. I know, I have both 1989 and '96. The '89 scares me compared to the '96.

x2. i have a 95xj and i cant understand what everyone is talking about with the brakes. im just glad i have the good ones.

i like that you took the time to clean up the engine bay. i dont see too many people doing that sort of thing, but then again im a guy that cleans the engine every month looking for leaks...

looking good keep us posted.

PhotographerMike said:
While you're at it you might want to swap the brake master cylinder and anything else not A.B.S. The early Cherokees have much weaker brakes than later ones. I know, I have both 1989 and '96. The '89 scares me compared to the '96.

Yeah i was just thinking about that today. Ill start on that tomorrow....i hope

TacticalFats said:
rowley65flip said:
swapin out the 2.5 and dash/whole interior in the 87 for a 4.0 and dash/interior from a 97. any advice? Its going to be a long weekend..........

Long WEEKEND?

hey its an extended weekend (even tho i dont get the rebuild kit for the 4.0 till tuesday, and that means i cant get the motor in till then, which means my weekend is going to turn into 2 weeks)

stewie said:
i like that you took the time to clean up the engine bay. i dont see too many people doing that sort of thing, but then again im a guy that cleans the engine every month looking for leaks...

I thought it might be a lost cause since its just going to get dirty (as soon as the lift comes in and i get the tires on) but i just like that nice clean look. A little paint and a power washer can sure do alot

Back