• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon trail suggestions

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
We do a family trip every summer up to Tahoe (not a wheeling trip) The place we stay is literally 1 mile away from the Tahoe side of the Rubicon trail exit point.

I was thinking of getting a tow bar and flat towing the XJ up with me this summer. I expect I would get a chance for 1 or 2 half day solo runs while we are up there.

So the questions are.... For those of you who have seen my XJ wheeling and have run the rubicon.

1)You think it is worth it to flat tow the XJ up for a chance at a couple 1/2 day runs?

2)Is the Tahoe side of the trail a good portion for a solo/family type 1/2 day out and back hang out on the trail type run?

Chime in guys, if the XJ is going, I gotta start planning the tow bar install amongst other things.

If your rig is better than stock it is a really nice run out to "observation point" at the top of Caddilac Hill for some lunch. On the way back out, once you hit the main road, turn left and follow the road around for a nice loop. You'll end up on Barker Pass Road and eventually wind your way down to Idlewild.
standard.jpg

Hey Mike, is that a post-rollover shot of my Jeep between the trees?? Funny, that's the first one I've seen. I wasn't in the mood to take pictures.:)

Yes, please. Thank you.

I just went through your album and found a bunch. Thanks.

I think that was 2006, not 2005.

It couldn't have happened in a more beautiful setting.

mikeh.jpg

how did that header panel stay so straight?

88trailcrawler said:
uhhh. Thanks Johnny....that is not what I want to see. I was looking for confidence in heading into the trail!

Sorry for the hijack John. :D

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Remember, I'm Asian. Which means I can't drive.

ruggedjeep said:
My bad, i thought you wanted "wheeling pics" after the roll. Ya go through the foto time album, they're all in there.

Ya it was 06.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Actual wheeling pics. But that was such a beautiful picture. :)

You've got some good pics from that trip Mike. I don't think I ever looked at them.

No worries on the hijack. I am going to flip through those pics and pull out my trail map. Looks like plenty of trail to safely enjoy. Just gotta ignore those roll over pics. We would be up there late Aug, so hopefully not mud bogs blocking my path...I hate mud!

xjohnnyc said:
I just went through your album and found a bunch. Thanks.

I think that was 2006, not 2005.

It couldn't have happened in a more beautiful setting.

mikeh.jpg
Wow, Johnny! What part of the trail was that and how did you manage that? I've had my share of bad luck on that trail, as well.......two broken axle shafts two years in a row (1 one year, the other the next) in my Bronco. It's been a few years but......I can't wait to get back up there. Anyone ever run Barret Lake? I've been wanting to run that for years. You might look that one up, 88trailcrawler ;) (sorry, I forgot your name) :dunno:-----------Hans

Last edited:
That's Buck Island Lake in the background. I guess you can blame it on carelessness. I'll be the first to admit that. We're going back up there in June. I can't wait to return to the scene to see exactly what went wrong.

Back