• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine stalls while driving

the tribe

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1990 xj 4.0 . it stalls whille driving , but put it in neutural and it will restart. it like you have to keep the rpms up so it wont stall . i put on a new cps what next ?

i would first try cleaning your throttle body and IAC(idle air control) valve, use some TB cleaner(not carb cleaner or brake cleaner) see if that makes a difference. if it does, but doesnt quite fix it then you might need a new IAC(cost about $75). also, check to make sure you TPS is working and adjusted properly. if its not those, then if could be your fuel delivery......change your fuel filter, and make sure the fuel pump is doing its job, maybe throw a good fuel injecter cleaner in next time you fill up(i just used a bottle of 44k in my last tank and it smoothed the idle out pretty good).

Just got some 44k delivered $22.95 S&H included, I'd give it a shot considering the age of the vehicle, along with the options mentioned.
Check ebay, it was listed under "Mercedes-Benz Fuel System Cleaner BG44K"
I used a can in my sons 94' Jimmy over the weekend. had been having probs. w/ clogged EGR ( common prob. on the 4.3, bad head sesign) replaced EGR and still had prob. Told him he needed to get rid of carborn. Used the 44K, started seeing a diff. within 50 mi., runs like a top now.

Back