• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grinding with clutch in

jimbob

NAXJA Forum User
87 2dr 4.0 8.8 locked . I switched to a nv3550 5 years ago, at the time I wanted to keep the internal slave (dumb Idea). So I had a shop cut and tap the bearing retainer. it worked for 3 years before the plastic started leaking. I learned on naxja that there was a metal one, it lasted a year or so. Recently I changed it to an external one with a 99 wrangler bellhousing and all new parts from the dealer: fork, retainer wire, throwout bearing. Reused Clutch master cylinder, bought new line and new external slave cylinder. Changed clutch 2 years ago during one of my slave cylinder replacements, so reused: clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing off of 304 v8 i believe. Put it back together, pumped it about 20 times, best clutch ever. Drove it down the highway and it was great: quiet,smooth. Then it started sqealing and grinding when the clutch was pushed, fine when it was out. Very loud when pushed in. So I pulled it all back apart and noticed that (my help) had left the top and one side in the middle bolt out, but the rest were tight. The only visual damage is to the pressure plate fingers. They seem to be more roughed up than the one i took off 2 years ago. I used a slave cylinder off of a 99 also in fact all the parts on the bellhousing are 99. So what did I do wrong? Reuseing the old clutch and pilot bearing or was it the bolts missing allowing the bellhousing to move back. Or ? Thanks for your help.

My guess would be that because the bolts were loose it cause the trannsmision to flex away from the engine. I had a couple of my bolts work loose on mine and the same thing happened, I believe the flywheel was grinding on the transmission housing. No harm done to mine.

anybody else? Anyone see anything wrong with the combo parts Im using? I plan to buy new clutch,pressure plate and pilot bushing. Everything else was new. thanks

The grinding when the clutch is in is most likley a bad throw out bearing.

~Alex

Back