• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rapid solid feeling ticking up front at slow speeds

LR_2000_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know typed alot but bear with me, I don't want to leave anything out.

I have been noticing a rapid, solid ticking while turning at slow speeds (like in a parking lot especialy), and it is getting worse. It is heard from outside coming from the frontend and felt on the floor from inside. I replaced the wheel bearings and axle u-joints, and serviced the front shaft involving replacing the axle end u-joint. I torqued all bolts and lugs I have touched in this search for this gremlin and have sat many times in front of and under the jeep to observe any possibilities that is making the noise. Also, I have checked the diff and even put the front up on jacks, put it in 4hi and in park to lock the drive shaft, and spun the front wheels to make sure the diff gears felt smooth while differentiating the wheels. All is smooth, and I still have this ticking while slow driving in 2hi, even tried 4hi for a few feet before it binded much and still the same. but all gets quiet when light pressure is applied to the brake. I've inspected the whole frontend and rearend as well to no resolve. Please help as I may have missed something obvious.

SPECS AND WORK/MODS DONE ON FRONTEND SO FAR:
It be a 2000 XJ Classic, 4.0 HO, Auto, NP231, approx 4" of lift, four door, D30 frontend, chrysler rearend, stock wrangler steelies with 31x10.5x15's, removed plastic from front bumper, ACOS spacers, JKS Quicker disconnects, stock front springs, BPE and stud-to-eye shock type bracket, "newer" upper and lower CA's, replaced stabilizer a year ago, and drove little since. I have yet to remove the front DS to see if that helps isolate the problem, but it has been disassembled to single pieces, cleand out, greased, rebuilt two u-joints and replaced one, reassembled and grease packed the shaft. There's no play whatsoever on the pinions and output shafts of the NP231. And I still have the stock rear DS setup, but am using a 1" drop bracket for now that helped alot with the vibes.

PLEASE HELP!! I hope the gurus here can help, as I am out of work from an injury (long story) and strapped for cash in the worse way, and out of ideas on this. That be why I work with what I have and rebuild the impossible when neccessary. I'm inventive and make as much as I can with parts I have. Thanks to all in advance who respond!!!

Last edited:
I have the same annoying tick.

Very upsetting.

Will be following this, I have tried most of what you have too, looking forward to resolving it.

Prob not the same thing as yours, but I'll mention it anyway...

I only heard the low speed "tick" while in FT4x4.

I replaced drive line u-joints, and wheel bearings on the Dana 30.

Eventually I found out what it really was, loose Tcase chain.

Replaced chain and all noises gone.

It sounded like something tapping on the driver's side front, but it was right under me.

muckleroy said:
Prob not the same thing as yours, but I'll mention it anyway...

I only heard the low speed "tick" while in FT4x4.

I replaced drive line u-joints, and wheel bearings on the Dana 30.

Eventually I found out what it really was, loose Tcase chain.

Replaced chain and all noises gone.

It sounded like something tapping on the driver's side front, but it was right under me.

Did it make the noise in 2 wheel drive? Mine does, but it just occured to me to try coasting through a turn in nutral. Oh, wait, driveline still turns, hmmm....

LR_2000_XJ said:
Did it make the noise in 2 wheel drive? Mine does, but it just occured to me to try coasting through a turn in nutral. Oh, wait, driveline still turns, hmmm....

No, 4x4 only. Also it didn't matter if I was turning or straight, just a low speed noise.

I would have thought it was the axle u-joint based on your description, but like I said after changing a bunch of stuff I found out it wasn't what I thought it was.

Thanks for your input on this muckleroy. I do hear some chain slap now and then, but is very different sounding from the ticking I hear up front.

Has anyone else ever had this noise while turning at slow speeds and find it was the TC chain?

I still need help on this, since I can't figure out why applying the brakes immediately stops this ticking, and all is good with the brakes the 3 times I dug in and checked.

Last edited:
LR_2000_XJ said:
Thanks for your input on this muckleroy. I do hear some chain slap now and then, but is very different sounding from the ticking I hear up front.

Has anyone else ever had this noise while turning at slow speeds and find it was the TC chain?

I still need help on this, since I can't figure out why applying the brakes immediately stops this ticking, and all is good with the brakes the 3 times I dug in and checked.

When you changed the axle u-joints, the spline on the axles looked ok?

I would be concentrating on wheel bearings or ujoints. Did it make the noise before or after you did all the above mentioned work. Bearings can do what you describe right down to silencing with the application of brakes and acting up in a turn.

Bump

Yes, it was starting the noise, so I suspected the bearings first since I felt a slight looseness when wiggling the wheels in front at 12 and 6 o'clock and 3 and 9 positions. So I replaced them, anti seized the hubs, and torqued all to specs.
Still ticks!

The only thing that makes sense to how it sounds would have to do with the splines somewhere. As that would be the only thing that would produce the ticking in the frequency it ticks in relation to the speed that is around 1 or 2 mph slight turn to full turn in either direction, until the first slightest bit of brake is applied, then gone. But all splines were perfect when I cleaned them and applied a little grease both ends. I even cleaned off the dirt or rust film on the shafts and coated them with a thin layer of grease to keep rust off, so I assume.

:doh::dunno::confused::banghead::smsoap::flamemad::helpme: ?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey, would those little plastic shields on the shafts at the axle housing ends get caught within the inner diameter of the housing tubes and make that noise? It just hit me about that and I'll have to check that. Maybe they are too close to the housing ends and hit when the hub turns and due to the possibility the axle joints are not perfectly alinged within the axis of the ball joints, the axle may slip lightly at the carrier splines while turning right or left, bringing the black plastic shield to a point of contact and making the noise. It does make the noise louder in a full turn more than a mild turn. I will have to check that as soon as I get the chance!

Tell me what you think!!

Back