• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood prop.

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
got bored the other day and decided to put some spare time into something productive to my jeep. i remember reading off "gojeep" one day that he put hood shocks on his jeep. well heres mine. its some old hatch shocks that wouldnt hold up anymore. doesnt even hit the washer bottle top

05-21-08_1259.jpg

i only used one and it works perfectly fine. but i also only open the hood once a week. just to look over stuff and check my fluids. thats still more that alot of other people

Any reason you guys are using a wore out one? I just replaced one on my hatch, and didn't see any way it could hold anything up. I could press it in and out with almost no resistance. Of course, a new one might rip out of the bolts too I guess...lol

chrisja77 said:
Any reason you guys are using a wore out one? I just replaced one on my hatch, and didn't see any way it could hold anything up. I could press it in and out with almost no resistance. Of course, a new one might rip out of the bolts too I guess...lol
Well, if the hatch isn't popping up you gotta buy a new strut anyway - what a great opportunity to put the strut in a much lower resistance application, where it will still function, and mod your jeep at the same time!
In cold weather, my hatch doesn't stay up. I'll be replacing the hatch struts and putting them under my hood this fall.

carefull what you buy, I bought some strong arms, they damn ear took my nose off the first time I opened the hatch, I traded one for a used one of my bros jeep mch better now

the hatch on later models is steel, not fiberglass, but i don't know the weight difference. anyone have any #'s? i would imagine it's a lot heavier than a hood either way, not that our hood is very light either. neat mod though.

Just a feeler here. I am thinking about putting together a few of these kits. I can get all of the hardware needed for a decent price. The lifts are not cheap. 4WD has the kit for $100.
My version will include the
lift shocks, 2 @ at about 65lbs apiece (works perfect on mine)
brackets for attaching
self tapping screws

$55.00
Shipping included

Let me know if anyone is interested in this, I can come up with about 10 sets to start with.
Thanks
Thomas

chopperdog said:
Just a feeler here. I am thinking about putting together a few of these kits. I can get all of the hardware needed for a decent price. The lifts are not cheap. 4WD has the kit for $100.
My version will include the
lift shocks, 2 @ at about 65lbs apiece (works perfect on mine)
brackets for attaching
self tapping screws

$55.00
Shipping included

Let me know if anyone is interested in this, I can come up with about 10 sets to start with.
Thanks
Thomas

Semi interested. I just worry how I would get the thing down. At almost 6" of lift and 35's, there's no way I could reach the top of my hood once it's up.

asp387 said:
the hatch on later models is steel, not fiberglass, but i don't know the weight difference. anyone have any #'s? i would imagine it's a lot heavier than a hood either way, not that our hood is very light either. neat mod though.
There's very little weight difference between the 84-96 fiberglass and the 97-01 steel. The lighter fiberglass was apparently laid in pretty thick for strength...making it as heavy as the later steel ones. :shrug:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

i'm going to put another on the other side. its kinda weak. but it holds. i have to push it up. i want it to lift its self.

just a little so you know but check out a local truck shell shop(toppers of the fiberglass variant). I worked at a shell place for a while and they sold struts for around 12 bucks each. They are shorter but with some fab we made them work for hoods before easily. They should also be able to get you the mounts too...

Just a thought

Back