• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody got a 4.0 head?

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Last night, FordGuy and I changed the valve stem seals on the MJ. We were hoping that this was the cause of a little excessive smoke. But we discovered a new problem. Seems I have a blown head gasket or cracked head. We are reasonably sure it's just a blown gasket.

Instead of pulling my head and taking it a shop for resurfacing and such, we figured it would be easier to have a known good head on hand so we can just R&R in one session.

So does anybody have an HO head laying around that I can take to a machine shop for a checkup?

Name a price and/or you can have my old head in return. Again, we are pretty sure the head is okay.

Let me know what you got. Thanks in advance. And Money Pit #2 thanks you.

xjohnnyc said:
Last night, FordGuy and I changed the valve stem seals on the MJ. We were hoping that this was the cause of a little excessive smoke. But we discovered a new problem. Seems I have a blown head gasket or cracked head. We are reasonably sure it's just a blown gasket.

Instead of pulling my head and taking it a shop for resurfacing and such, we figured it would be easier to have a known good head on hand so we can just R&R in one session.

So does anybody have an HO head laying around that I can take to a machine shop for a checkup?

Name a price and/or you can have my old head in return. Again, we are pretty sure the head is okay.

Let me know what you got. Thanks in advance. And Money Pit #2 thanks you.

I've got RENIX heads that want reworking, but no HO. I take it you have a 7120 head?

If you don't end up needing the old one for a core, I'd like to talk to you about getting it - even if it is cracked or warped. I want to get a set to section anyhow - both to analyse construction and for some porting experiments I'd like to try...

(Of course, if you want to be quit of the whole MJ, let me know. Just make sure I can get it back up here...:sunshine: )

Yeah, the money pit begins!!! Half price day this weekend at PAP Johnny

Yeah, it can be hard to find an HO. But there was a 96 at the Beach yard. I may go back to see if the head is still there. I already bought the valve cover off of it. :)

I popped my head on a 1990 cherokee a while back. I got a brand new head with new valves and springs for $270.00. It was the best deal I could find. It came with a one year warranty. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

I have a head off of a 98. I am not exactly sure if it is good though. One of the pistons had a hole in it and my brother in law thought it dropped a valve. But I have not looked into it. I was going to rebuild but would consider getting rid of it. make offer.

xjohnnyc said:
Yeah, it can be hard to find an HO. But there was a 96 at the Beach yard. I may go back to see if the head is still there. I already bought the valve cover off of it. :)

Didn't see it today.

silverslk said:
CAll me. I have the 5 cyl 4L in my garage from the "incident" at Azusa. Should be fine. Mine is a 93
soo many bad jokes here... get andy's head (lol) he just hydro'd number 6, and snapped the rod the head should still be in perfect shape, and his jeep was running good when it happened....

what im trying to say is andy gives ...... nevermind :gag:

:D

Cool, Andy. It's kinda late now, so I'll call you tomorrow. Maybe we can pull it this weekend? Thanks.

I have a bare 7120 cylinder head, needs some valve smoothing but no cracks. I have the whole valve train also but it is disassembled, was going to have it re-worked but found a complete reman on e-bay for cheaper than just the rebuild itself with no core, I would probably be willing to part with the head if somebody really needs it, otherwise here is a link to the guys I got my head from, arrived in a week and looked good:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBU...017QQitemZ270239114433QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I love this site, i have a crappy day then just about p*$ my self laughing at the posts.

Back