• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't get my Manual tranny to seat.

rapom

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 98 4.0 Jeep Cherokee with a manual tranny. I bought a clutch kit after suddenly having my clutch hit the floor after hearing a pop. Anyway it turned out to be the springs that hold the throwout bearing broke allowing the bearing to get wedged between the fork. Anyway since I had 130,000 miles on the Jeep I decided to change everything. I am having a very tuff time trying to get my tranny bolted back up to the engine. The pilot bearing is flush just like the old one. I lubed up the shaft and splines lightly. I can't seem to get the splines into the clutch. I even made sure the splines turned when I turned the rear shaft of the tranny. It seems like I can only get about 3/4" away from the block and that's it. It doesn't even seem like the splines are trying to grab the clutch so I'm not sure if the pilot bearing is stopping me. Tranny also came off difficult as I needed pry bars to get it off until it got about 3/4" away from the block and then It was free.

Am I missing something?

I just installed an AX15 into my '89 XJ and it was a bitch of a time. Took a good 2-3 hours. It's difficult because the engine is located on an angle, and you have to replicate this angle EXACTLY with the tranny. Thing is, when you push it in, you need to lift up the bellhousing more and more to slide it in.

Get a jack and a piece of wood and put it under the oil pan to make the angle of the engine exact with the transmission, and then just kick and shove. Maybe get some really long bolts and use them to suck it in. Just make sure it's not binding on anything if you do that.

On mine, I just basically kicked the transfercase enough to get it out, and kicked the transfercase enough to get it back in. It's a pain.

mattbred said:
I just installed an AX15 into my '89 XJ and it was a bitch of a time. Took a good 2-3 hours. It's difficult because the engine is located on an angle, and you have to replicate this angle EXACTLY with the tranny. Thing is, when you push it in, you need to lift up the bellhousing more and more to slide it in.

Get a jack and a piece of wood and put it under the oil pan to make the angle of the engine exact with the transmission, and then just kick and shove. Maybe get some really long bolts and use them to suck it in. Just make sure it's not binding on anything if you do that.

On mine, I just basically kicked the transfercase enough to get it out, and kicked the transfercase enough to get it back in. It's a pain.

X2 iv'e done three in the past year.P.I.T.A.!!! but just lightly shake and push it'll slide in.

JACK

Thanks for the replys. Just wanted to see if I was missing something. I'm pretty sure I got the angle right. I'll keep on trying.

It will be a lot easier if you jack the rear of the vehicle while leaving the front on the ground.

Then let the engine tilt down to what is now a horizontal position: now all you have to do is slide the level transmission straight forward, rather than forward and up at the same time.

Also, if you were not really careful with the alignment of the clutch disc when you bolted up the pressure plate, it may be far enough to one side (probably the bottom) to prevent the transmission input shaft from passing all the way to the pilot bearing.

I've been in that situation before. After wrestling with the transmission for hours, I took it apart again, made sure the alignment was good and it went together within seconds.

I went to the hardware store and bought some extra long bolts and cut the heads of them off to use a guide to help line up the transmission. I put them in the top two holes and was able to slide the transmission in with ease.

jeepngeorge said:
I went to the hardware store and bought some extra long bolts and cut the heads of them off to use a guide to help line up the transmission. I put them in the top two holes and was able to slide the transmission in with ease.

Ive been reading up on a trans swap for my car and using long bolts comes up alot to help alignment. Seems thats the best bet to help things line up.

I've had good results getting the AX-15 bellhousing back on using a jack on a block of wood. Get it lined up as well as you can first. Wth your back against the rear differential, use your legs to push the tranny up and in. Think I had one foot on the transfer case and one on the mount. Up and down pressure as you push will help too. You'll feel it go if it's lined up. Good luck.

Back