• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advice on '99 2dr purchase & build

BurntOrange

NAXJA Forum User
I'm close to buying a 1999 2-door 4wd XJ w/ 4.0 & AT, SE trim level and joining the XJ club. I've previously owned CJ/XJ/ZJ Jeeps. My intent is to build this as a capable off-roader than I can drive to the trails and on long-distance multi-day trips but it won't be my daily driver. I'm looking for advice on a couple of points I'm still unsure about:
  1. This SE XJ lacks cruise control. I found this link on NAXJA to a full cruise control kit using OEM parts: http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAU&Product_Code=MB1&Category_Code=CHEROKEE My question is, will I be able to use this (or junkyard equivalant parts) if I switch from an auto to a manual computer?
  2. The gauge cluster on this Jeep uses the big idiot lights and lacks tach. Same question, if I swap in the better gauge cluster will I run into any odometer issues switching from an auto to manual computer? Do I really have to go to the stealership to have the computer reprogrammed? I searched but didn't find a clear answer given the combination of both a gauge cluster AND computer swap.
  3. My final question is related to the first two. I plan to swap a 700R4 for the AW4. I already have a new heavily built TCI 700R4 4x4 trans and the AW4 has 130K on it so this is an easy decision for me. I believe I need to swap a manual computer in but haven't found 100% confirmation on this. I've found swap articles related to replacing the YJ/TJ TF999/32RH but not for replacing an AW4. Can I eliminate the tranny computer only or do I need to swap a manual computer in?
Thanks for any feedback on these points.

Stuff I already have for my hopefully new XJ:
  • a core '96 XJ 4.0l to eventually build a stroker and new Mopar bare head
  • TCI 700R4 transmission
  • '79 F-250 D44 front w/ 4.88s, Lock-Right, Dedenbear knuckles, alloy shafts, 5-on-5.5
  • Ford 8.8 rear w/ 4.88s & E-Locker (will get Super88 kit)
  • 37" MTRs
  • Warn HS9500 winch
Thanks!

In reverse order:
3) not sure about the computer.
2) the gauge cluster should swap right out. Aim for the same year doner, and it should slip right in. The dealership is probably the only place that can reprogram the odometer. I've never heard of any aftermarket kit/trick/tool that would do it.
1) Cruise control is easy. It's built into the computer and the engine harness. I had a dealer tec. friend get me a retrofit kit for my '00.
It had the following pieces:
Steering wheel cruise switches (2 pcs. l+r)
Cruise actuator diaphram module(or whatever it's called.)
vac. line.
It looks like that kit from jeeps are us might also have a clock spring, underhood harness, and air bag cover(?)

Here's how mine went: On my jeep(2000 "Sport" power convenience group) The cruise light was already in the dash, the "T" was already in the vac. line, and all the elec. connections were already in the harness.
Under the hood
The line plugged into the module and an existing "t" in the line running back down the pass. side fender. There was an unused plug by the battery (green,already in the jeep harness) that plugged into the module. The cruise throttle cable clipped on to the TB linkage (brackets already on the linkage) The module itself bolted onto the R. side inner fender (3 screws. The holes were already there)
In the cab:
The switches attached to the steering wheel in place of the trim covers on the spokes.
The Biggest PITA was my clock spring. (clock spring was not included in my kit) There are 2 types. The cruise control requires a 2-wire clock spring. If you don't have cruise, you MAY have the 1-wire or the 2-wire. you won't know until you pull the wheel off. If you don't have the steering wheel harness(it's a 6 inch wire that pugs into both switches and the clock spring), you will have to make one.(buying from junkyard, be sure to grab it) When we swapped the clock springs, the harness in the column was wired for the 2 wire spring)

The whole install took us under 30 minutes(not including the trip to the dealership to get the right clock spring)

Back