• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank but no start tried everything?????

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to be as clear as i can but this may get complicated. I REALLY NEED SOME HELP BAD!!!!!! So it started when i was driving and the car shut off at a light i had the music up so it may have sputtered a little but after it shut off I tried replacing the coil and crank sensor. i brought it to a freinds shop and he said it started for a few seconds but died and then wouldnt start. he said it could be the comp so i replaced it and had it programmed by jeep. still nothing I then checked the wires from the cam sensor and crank sensor they seemed good. today i replaced the distributer and cam sensor because the gear on the distributor was shot and half bald (the teeth in the engine could be in question but the rotor spinns. To be specific last night i put the distributor in with the rotor at the no1 and the no1 cylynder at TDC but no start. today my buddy sais it started but ran ruff and after he turned it off it wont even sound like its trying to start i check the power to the fuel injector by the no1 and it was good and there is some preasure in the rail. there is spark going to the distributor cap but as to why it isnt starting i dont know anybody have any ideas? tomarrow i was going to do a compression test and a fuel test
!!!1 What else can i check and what could could it possibly be??????

Did you ever check that you are gettin gfuel pressure at the rail? Theres a little bleeder valve on the fuel rail that you can push in and see if gas come out.

If not, check the pump, the pump relay, and fuel filter.

Good luck.

You had the No 1 cylinder at TDC but was it on the combustion stroke? You might have it 180* off. Also check your ASD relay. Are you getting spark at the plugs? Also, what year is your Jeep, what options? Might help us track some things down.

Does the new wiring (cap to plugs) match the old. Changed cap/rotor etc. first thing when I got the heep and followed wiring schematics per Chilton (worthless) and had the same effect. Looked at old cap w/wires still attached, supposed #1 wasn't. Reverted to old/wrong (chilton again) setup and voila! I know it sounds stoopid, just an idea you might check.

Plays For Jeeps said:
Did you ever check that you are gettin gfuel pressure at the rail? Theres a little bleeder valve on the fuel rail that you can push in and see if gas come out.

If not, check the pump, the pump relay, and fuel filter.

Good luck.

X2 sonds like a fuel pump. you mentioned you will be doing a "fuel test"? I hope that includes a pressure test at the rail. also, "some pressure" can be a false indicator of a good pump so use a guage. Also be carefull of anymore expensive advice from your "buddy". anyone who tells you to replace a computer first thing before testing fuel pressure isnt too bright. good luck!

im going to check the preasure at the rail (what should it be by the way) but fuel was spraying when i cranked it. and about that relay that somone mentioned, i think its next to the fuel pump relay and it was ticking (I think like its supposed to) the wiring is the same as when it was running and the no1 is is the cylynder at the front of the engine. abouth TDC im going to turn the engine and wach to see if it comes up again. By the way nothing explains the truck running and not starting after it eas shut off and its a 96 with a manual tranny and the 4.0

Back