• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor gear questions

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So i am going through hell with my 96 cherokee it has a 4.0 and besides the hell im going through to get it to start (im going to make another post about the details please any input would be great) I noticed the teeth on the distributor where shot and it had a huge almost bald spot. i replaced it but im wonderng if a) are the worn teeth in the enging screwing with the timing enough so it wont start. and b) how can i replace this gear if i have to? the other mechanic im working with said it started when i wasnt there but it was running ruff then he turned it off and it wont start before we replaced the distibuter it started once and shut off iv been trying to fix my truck for a few weeks and i feel like iv tried everything please if you can read my other post and help me out.

The distributor is driven by the camshaft.

Now, if the gears are messed up I'd be very, very worried. That is in no way a normal issue so something is seriously wrong with your engine and a teardown is in order (you have to do a lot just to get the camshaft out anyway).

What kinda problems could i have i would just put a new engine in it i think i could find one for about 300 because mine has 125k but what should i look for in a tear down can i pland on just the cam bieng screwed up

If the distributor drive teeth are messed up than the cam will have to be replaced

The question here is why it happened in the first place. Did the distributor seize, was there lack of oil, etc.

no lack of oil and i can check the bearing on the old distibuter also crank the engine and see ift the cam is bent at the gear the cam comes out of the front of the engine right

For $300 bucks I would swap the engine. No way your going to fix a busted dizzy gear and busted Cam gear and whatever else got eaten along the way for under $300.

i think im gona go that way but first i gotta see why the engine wont run It should run in that condition right? I think the reason it wont run is somthing outside the engine so after thats fixed i will replace it

kenny schmitt said:
i think im gona go that way but first i gotta see why the engine wont run It should run in that condition right? I think the reason it wont run is somthing outside the engine so after thats fixed i will replace it

I woudn't even bother. What's the point?

You've got serious problems, you don't know what they are, don't try to run the engine when you have a big question mark inside or you just may damage it even more.

X2 on that advise. He does not even know if the distributor gear on cam shaft is still there. The dizzy might not even be rotating anymore, which would keep it from starting. For that matter the timing chain might be broken. I'm no expert, but I would not try cranking an engine with missing teeth on the dizzy unless I just wanted to have fun blowing the engine up and scaring the neighbors.

Check the Oil Pump..... if it's locking up it will cause your problems. the Dist. gear is much softer than the gear on the cam. You can look in the Dist hole and verify the condition of the cam gear. ~Ace~

Rent a fiber optics camera and stick it in the dizzy hole to check the cam gear. Use a long screwdrive and see if you can turn the oil pump. Just some old skool tricks that you might employ.:eyes:
Blue:)

I can see the gear its still there and has teeth but looks worn. i think im looking at a new enine because a compresion test showed as low as 80 psi and 100 in some cylyders could be a cam issue wtith leacky valves but i think i need a new engine

Or perhaps a good, old engine that runs!

Back