• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd issues...

JohnnyBoy425

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there. I am new to this forum and just picked up a 1997 XJ thats running great with 206000 miles! My issue is that when I engage the 4wd, all seems fine, until I make a turn, when i get a HORRENDOUS grinding noise. I don't even know where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My guess is axle u-joint(s). If you don't know when/if they were replaced I'd replace them. While you are there, replace the wheel bearing assymbilies. You have to take them off to get tot he u-joints anyway.

Describe the grinding noise a little more... Does sounds like something grinding while the vehicle is moving and turning at the same time?

The only horrindous grinding noise I have ever had was when my transfer case linkage was out of adjustment and you could feel it in the 4wd lever when it made the noise. My first guess would probably still be the u-joints, but a close second would be the t-case slipping out of gear. The linkage adjustment isn't too hard to do if you find that's where the noise is coming from.

4LowandGo said:
Describe the grinding noise a little more... Does sounds like something grinding while the vehicle is moving and turning at the same time?

The only horrindous grinding noise I have ever had was when my transfer case linkage was out of adjustment and you could feel it in the 4wd lever when it made the noise. My first guess would probably still be the u-joints, but a close second would be the t-case slipping out of gear. The linkage adjustment isn't too hard to do if you find that's where the noise is coming
from.

I've never heard a grinding noise either, not associated with a transfer case issue. My chain was so loose I took it off without removing the gear. But that noise was moving forward straight turning, etc...

The only think that I can think of being under stress in a turn would be the bearing, the axle u-joint. Maybe the noise is a brake issue brought on by a bad bearing.

Wow! I'm assuming that the tire isn't rubbing something. Could it be that simple?

i had the same thing with my xj when i bought it, its my first xj or jeep period ive owned and when i tested out 4wd it made a grinding/popping/scraping noise when turning(i thought to myself "omg, 4wd doesnt work on my new 4wd!"). i checked the u-joints for the wheel axles, and the right side was toast(all the roller bearing inside were gone). ive replaced both sides now and it works great.

very simple to do, and if i were you id do a once over check of everything, change all the fluids, etc, etc.......

If you have the part time transfer case(NP231), and have all four wheels on dry pavement or any high traction surface, you should not make turns with the 4X4 engaged.
With this transfer case, the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and puts a bind on the entire drive train unless at least one wheel can slip.
If you have the full time transfer case (NP242) then you can turn while on any kind of surface without binding. The reason is that the front and rear driveshafts have a differential between them.

Back