• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nead help with a axle question

Tracy92

NAXJA Forum User
Front axle has 3.55 in it (39-11) stampt on the ring gear. I bought a dana 44 last year and was told the gears are 3.55, but there actualy 3.54's(46-13)stampt on the ring gear. will this work ore do I have the wrong gears, and what should I do?

It will work. Not all gear sets are exactly the same, but really close that the difference is not enough to be notice. I believe that the 0.01 is lost in the slack of the drivetrain? I have the same combo in my jeep and It's the stock set-up. Time for deeper gears :D

Yep,4.09's,4.10's, and 4.11's are all considered the same,it just depends on the axle!

yeah you'll be fine. you can run up to approximately a 2% difference in final drive ratio between the front and rear wheels without problems. 3.55 and 3.54 or 4.10 and 4.11 all that is fine. guaranteed you won't even notice.

You'll be fine. Even from the factory, there's usually a point or two of difference (3.07/3.06, 4.55/4.54, 4.11/4.10) biased toward the front end. The theory there is that the front end can "pull" you so you can maintain more control, methinks.

Drop it in. You'll be good.

youre fine. i run a dana 44 3.54 with a 30 3.55 front if it really makes you feel better.

5-90 said:
You'll be fine. Even from the factory, there's usually a point or two of difference (3.07/3.06, 4.55/4.54, 4.11/4.10) biased toward the front end. The theory there is that the front end can "pull" you so you can maintain more control, methinks.

Drop it in. You'll be good.

I actually think I talked to some local r/c car racers and they ran lower gears in the front to help pull through corners(of course a larger diff then 2%)... This has no place in a jeep but its a cool theory

And consider that not all axle manufacturers have the exact same ratio's available.
I run 5.38's in the front Dana 44 and 5.43:1 in the rear Ford 9 inch.

No issues

Back