• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231-242 swap

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Still wanting to do this. Has anyone got a good write up on this swap? Want to go to a 242 on my dd. No I dont want to hear "why would you do this" just want some links or write ups. I have a few links but not enough to make me comfortable with this swap. Any help would be appreciated. DD is a 93, donor 242 is an 87. Both autos, both 4.0.

after 91 (I think) the spline count change on the input/output shafts. Your going need the selec-trac case from the year of vehicle it is going in to. Unless you brave and want to rebuild the case and swap the shafts....

Yes, I realize the spline count changed in 91 from 21-23 spline. The case has been cracked open and I've checked the condition as well as completely cleaned and checked the chain. I've had it apart and back together several times. Just waiting for the balls to swap it in. I was going to swap the input spline from the 231 to the 242. Thanks tho.

I just did a complete swap between 2 XJ's, my son wanted my 242 and I wanted his 231 so we swapped them. You will need the linkage, shifter and bezel as well to do it right. The lights will need to be wired in for the "full time" position. It took us about 5 hours to do both swapps, so set aside about 3 hours to do 1.

I did this 2 times already, it is extremely straightforward. Unbolt on case, bolt up the next one. Depending on what year your XJ is vs what year the np242 case came from, you will need to play with the wiring. I ran a wire up to the dash and put in an LED for the full time light, and therefore there is only one wire on the connector that is being used. The full time signal from the Tcase is just a ground, so what I did was run the wire from the connector on the tcase up to an led and then connected power to the other side of the LED with a couple resistors in line.

Other than that I think I also modified my shifgate in the cab so that I could shift into fulltime on the fly without going into neutral and it has worked out awesome. Just make sure you adjust the linkage nice and snug and in the right positions.

I know this is confusing but if you guys need better explanation I will give it to you.

xjtrailrider said:
I just did a complete swap between 2 XJ's, my son wanted my 242 and I wanted his 231 so we swapped them. You will need the linkage, shifter and bezel as well to do it right. The lights will need to be wired in for the "full time" position. It took us about 5 hours to do both swapps, so set aside about 3 hours to do 1.
What year was the 231 and 242 out of ? I want to take the 242 out of my 87 and put a 231 out of 92. Did you have shaft spline count issues?

hanaxj87 said:
What year was the 231 and 242 out of ? I want to take the 242 out of my 87 and put a 231 out of 92. Did you have shaft spline count issues?
You WILL have spline issues with that combo

tkjeeper said:
I was going to swap the input spline from the 231 to the 242. Thanks tho.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can do that.

Swaped a 242 into mine because the price was right,as long as the splines are the same it's easy as hell. The only thing thats a pain is the linkage,but you can make it work.

According to this Cal, it's possible, looks like a legit write up. I value your opinion tho, what do you think?
http://www.hobbyguild.com/jeep/index.html

Ricot, are you saying the metal shiftgate in the cab is different? Hadn't heard that one, I have all the parts from the donor as I have said, I own the donor vehicle so I have all the wiring etc., necessary to swap it out. I appreciate all the response, keep them coming, please. I need all the help I can get on this one.

Aj, what exactly is the pain about the linkage? I've heard this before but of course this is one thing you have a hard time seeing until you're into it. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

tkjeeper said:
According to this Cal, it's possible, looks like a legit write up. I value your opinion tho, what do you think?

Interesting. Maybe I was wrong. I'll admit to having never tried it, I don't recall where I got that impression.

tkjeeper said:
Aj, what exactly is the pain about the linkage? I've heard this before but of course this is one thing you have a hard time seeing until you're into it. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

The worst part about the linkage/shifter was getting the shifter out of the floor without cutting the carpet. 3 of the screws are under carpet. The linkages can pop right off without to much issue, you can unbolt the one at the T-case.

you do not need linkage or shifter, the shift gate itself is different. look at this pic:
clip_image016.jpg

if you look at the 4 full time label, there is a 90 degree notch right there, which on an np242 shiftgate is also there. on an np231 shiftgate the notch is up about 1/4 inch, so all I did was "file" down this notch right up to where the shifter was in fulltime and it was all good from there, now to shift to full time I pull the shifter right to that notch and it stops there and goes no further.

cool look what a google search of "np242 shiftgate" brought up, this is exactly what I made mine look like
standard.jpg

Awesome Ricot, thanks, I'll check that thread later, great help!

Back