• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed Hood Vents Last Night

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally got around to installing the marine ABS vents I bought for $12 each last night. I located them horizontally (perpendicular to the hood centerline) and spaced them 4" off of the rear edge of the hood and 4" off each centerline crease. They mount with 6 screws through 3/16" holes, I used stainless hardware and washered/nutted the underside. The rear 3 fasteners/holes picked up the sheetmetal doubler that runs across the back edge of the underside of the hood, and I faced the slanted grates of the vents aft. Cutting the rectangular holes was a breeze, used an air-driven die-grinder with a thin fiber wheel, cut like butter. I should have taken pics, but I'll take some soon.

After I was done, I fired the Jeep up and let it idle for awhile, I could feel a little bit of heat coming up through the vents, which will be nice this Summer on the trail. I couldn't believe how hot the underhood temperatures get, especially on a warm day.

Sorry, no pics for now, just wanted to share.

Here is a picture of one of his vents. Hope this helps.

floor-vent-1b-788111.jpg

Looking forward to seeing pics when you get a chance. I'm sure they will do the trick. One thing I have noticed is that people are always using lebaron vents or some other "modded" type vent. Nothing wrong with that, but I personally plan to use ones made for the XJ: Gen Right

SwampDonkeyXJ said:
Looking forward to seeing pics when you get a chance. I'm sure they will do the trick. One thing I have noticed is that people are always using lebaron vents or some other "modded" type vent. Nothing wrong with that, but I personally plan to use ones made for the XJ: Gen Right

Hmmmm.... $50 vs. $5. While the link that you posted does have some nice looking parts, there is a serious price difference. That being said, it's good to know that there are plenty of options from Le Baron vents, to marine ABS, to the vents that you posted.

Glacialbass said:
Hmmmm.... $50 vs. $5. While the link that you posted does have some nice looking parts, there is a serious price difference. That being said, it's good to know that there are plenty of options from Le Baron vents, to marine ABS, to the vents that you posted.

Yeah, and considering people sell those Labaron Vents for like $75 plus S/h

Good Lord I'm a lazy bastard. :D I'll try and get some pics up. I ordered the black rectangular ones, they're 5.5" x 11.5", oriented them horizontally along the back edge of the hood with the louvers facing aft. Now I can smell the engine oil when driving, since the fresh air intake is just aft of the hood. ;)

The install was easy: Measure and mark a rectangular hole leaving about a 3/4" flange for the screw holes, use stainless countersunk screws and nuts. IIRC, I placed mine exactly 4" fwd of the rear hood edge, 4" from the edge of the center hood bend line on each side. Couldn't have gone any further aft, as the sheet metal doubler starts there. I ended up putting one screw each side into the edge of the doubler as it was, could have gone another 1/2" fwd to avoid that. I used a carbon fiber cutting wheel on an air-powered die grinder to make the cuts. It's very easy to work with and doesn't bounce around or require protective tape like a sawzall. You'b better grip it tight though, or it'll want to walk across the hood.

I'll see about getting some pics up tonight.

SwampDonkeyXJ said:
Uhhhhh... those aren't MADE for the XJ. They're just vents that they decided looked good on the XJ. Not custom made for it lol...

MiNi Beast said:
Yeah I need to finally get around to adding some, after the last two trail rides she rides a little hot. So wanted to see how yours turned out cause might order up some of those vents you got there.

My XJ is black, so the black ones look great. They're paintable if you get the white ones. They look pretty much like a factory installation since they match the color and I took the time to line them up nicely with the hood lines.

Mine has run consistently hot since day one. I started with replacing the fan clutch, then drilled a 1/8th" hole at the edge of my t-stat flange, then added a three core radiator, then a Flowkooler water pump, then finally the hood vents. If it still overheats this Summer I'll be at a loss. Not much more that can be done AFAIK.

crazyjim said:
Uhhhhh... those aren't MADE for the XJ. They're just vents that they decided looked good on the XJ. Not custom made for it lol...

They're more expensive, so they must be better, right?

Do any of the hood vents come with anything to keep water from pouring into the engine compartment? I have yet to see anything in the pics, but then again, most of the Jeeps I have seen were in somewhat more arid places than here.

Back