• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does the XJ have an in cab air filter?

alex22

NAXJA Forum User
After a few minuts of running the vent fan there's a bit of a funky smell, kinda like cheese feet. The last car I drove had a filter for the air going into the cab, Does my 96XJ have one? If not whats the best way to get rid of smelly vents?

~Alex

I didn't try to take the vents out yet and try to brush/vaccume vents out yet, I wanted to find out if there was an easier soloution to the problem first.

~Alex

Ok, but does it have a filter in there somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

~Alex

I'll have to bring the FSM out later tonight.

~Alex

No... no filters. :patriot:

To get the stale desert dust smell out of the vents on my XJ I turn the vent fan on high and spray fabreeze down the intake at the base of the windshield. The fan sucks it through the duct work and helps to neutralize the smell. Any air sanitizer should work.

Thanks for the help guys, If the fabreeze doesnt work i'll find a detail shop that has an ozone machine.

~Alex

With a/c on the smell is usuallly from something growing in the evapoartor core or something that has been sucked into the core like cig. smoke,etc. If you use your a/c and turn it off, after use, the moisture left in the evap core starts growin crap. They make chemicals to treat it like a/c refresh which you put in the intake and run the heater fan on fresh air or a bomb style deodorizer (push the button and close the door with the a/c on recirc and all the windows up). Ozonators are more for a smell caught in the upholstery like hippie,fish,smoke,dead deer smell. Best advice is to do any of the a/c treatments and turn your a/c off a few minutes before you get home to dry things off. I have pulled some nasty,nasty evap cores that had to be removed and cleaned!! some with moss or shrooms firmly attached.

The smell with the hvac on is from the core not the vents or ducts (well most of the time), I've also pulled out a family of mice that could not keep up to the blower fan cage. (I guess they aren't hamsters!)

Last edited:
bcmaxx said:
They make chemicals to treat it like a/c refresh which you put in the intake and run the heater fan on fresh air or a bomb style deodorizer (push the button and close the door with the a/c on recirc and all the windows up).

Does anyone have a lead on where to find treatments like this? I have the "moldy / mildew" smell going on sometimes with the A/C... I can totally visualize mushrooms growing in the core... that's exactly what it smells like. Like a damp basement.

But I've never ever seen these types of chemicals available at like an AutoZone parts store. I'd love to try it out. Am I not looking hard enough?

Good advice on letting the A/C dry out before shut down... can't hurt.

There is a sponge filter of sorts up inside the air intake under the passenger dash area (at least on my 90). I have washed that and sprayed the crap out of with Febreze before and my cab was fresh as a spring daisy (oh, wait that's another product).

alex22 said:
After a few minuts of running the vent fan there's a bit of a funky smell, kinda like cheese feet.

Does your XJ leave a puddle on the ground, when parked after using the A/C?
It should. If not, the drain from the evaporator is probably plugged.
The retained moisture is a breeding ground for fungus, which has a funky smell like what you mentioned.
Find the drain hose make sure the bottom end isn’t plugged with mud.
If the end is clear, blow it out with compressed air.
This may fix the problem for a while but you still may need to open the evaporator and clean it out.
A/C shops sell chemicals that kill the fungus or you could experiment with a diluted bleach solution to flush the evaporator.
http://www.properautocare.com/wuracheatsys.html
http://www.airsept.com/index.php?loadmod=acfaq
[FONT=&quot]
Whatever you do, make sure the drain is open and flowing.

On dusty desert drives, an in-cabin filter would be great, too bad XJs do not have them or an easy way of installing one.[/FONT]

Replacement ACC Cabin Filter
1999-2001 Jeep Cherokee

CABIN AIR FILTER -- A high quality, direct fit OE replacement cabin air filter.

1999-2001 Jeep Cherokee J420101$14.74

so with that being said.... i'd say no the 96 doesnt have one =D but mine does!

you do like summoning things from the dead, dont you? i got a dead dog, can we try that next??

There is a sponge filter of sorts up inside the air intake under the passenger dash area (at least on my 90). I have washed that and sprayed the crap out of with Febreze before and my cab was fresh as a spring daisy (oh, wait that's another product).

Hm... so that's what has been crumbling out of my dash since we bought the thing...

Sorry for the off-topic ness, but back to it. what's stopping us from getting something like a fish filter sponge and shoving it in the intake or near the outlets?

you do like summoning things from the dead, dont you? i got a dead dog, can we try that next??

it was one of those things, where you post... then look back when it was last posted on... and think aww fk, but hey, if i had posted a new topic someone would of said, search for it and you shall find ur answer.

my next question is how do i access it lol, i looked behind my dash and no bueno... just screws and wires.

Back