• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck in sand

MiniAmazon

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 manual XJ, so a few months ago I went out to some dunes, and wound up getting stuck. I dropped it into 4-Low and in first gear, when trying to get out, after engaging the clutch like I normally would, I lost all power and the engine died. After happening twice, I finally put it in second and was able to get out, thought the engine sounded like it was about to die seconds before I got out. I have no idea what could've caused this and was wondering if anyone might know?

Did you air down your tires at all?

MiniAmazon said:
Nope, first time in the sand, didn't know any better
That'll do it, try like 12psi to start (and bring something with you to air up!)

EDIT: It's allways a good idea to bring 1 or 2 planks of wood, and a sand shovel also

A strap is a good thing to carry too....

I usually carry one so I can pull people out here in Long Beach (WA, nto CA).

I normally charge 5 bucks to pull someone, unless I know them, then it's free.....

First time in the sand huh....
I can't even rember that far back!
Air down...ten pounds or less....use BFG AT's...and keep on the gas.
Don't get stuck...
Come on out to Gordon's Well this winter!!

Rick

Not airing down will do it.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Not airing down will do it.

I had a set of those IROK NDs on my wifes jeep and it was friggin awesome in the sand here. The sand here is coarse though. didn't have to air down, even pulled out a bronco on 39's that had a broken front axle. I hooked the strap to them and just backed them out, when the tires would dig to the point of no more traction I just put it in drive and it drove right out of the holes. Then I would back up and do it again.

They sucked on the road though.

When I was near sand in SoCal I use to carry two 20' x 18" carpet strips and a 12"x12" piece of plywood. Each strip had ~30' of 550 chord on the end. Jack up using the plywood as a base, put a carpet strip under one (locked) or two (open) front end. Tie the 550 chord to the rear tow point. Climb out and stay on the gas. I never had to put it under all 4 wheels but it was long enough to do it. I only used it twice (alway aired down to 10 or 12 on 31x10.50's) but I was darn glad I had it when I did.

John

I learned the hard(for me) or entertaining(for the bystanders) way about the whole sand thing in Oregon a couple years ago.
Lesson: do not run out on the sand with 1200 Lb trailer when tide is coming in.
Anyway, the air down(16-18 lb in my case) does the trick(after dumping the trailer).

As for the loss of power: It almost sounds like you were bogging the engine down. It was only happening while you were stuck and the engine ran normally after you got out right? Keep in mind: it takes a lot more torque to turn the tires over when they are buried in sand

yep, agreed with everything above... airing down gives you more surface contact area meaning you get better traction... once you get stuck, it's a lot harder for the engine to turn the wheels, so you can't just try to move as normal. you have to drive like you're towing a big trailer... slow and smooth. also, to AVOID getting stuck... don't spin the tires. doing so will dig holes, and sink you. start moving slowly, then go faster.....

KarlVP said:
Next time, put paddle tires on it, rev it to redline and dump the clutch.

some people don't exactly have the money for paddles...:conceited

I still dont understand his engine stalling in first, but not in second gear? If it was the sand "bogging down" the motor, and causing it to stall, it would have only been wanting to stall worse in second gear.

Airing down your tires will help you alot but you its good to learn to drive with higher PSI more challenging but you ll get used to it.

Things to keep in mind:
1- Maintain your inertia & speed
2- When you are stopping try not to use the brakes as sand will buildup infront of your tires
3- If you feel that the car is starting to sink in the sand try to steer left to right fast might help if not NEVER FLOOR IT. stop put in 4LO the reverse the SLOWLY rev to ~1500.

We have some serious sand around here and we drive 90% of time in 2WD

I got stuck in the sand the first time, I didn't air my 30" BFG A/T's down at all.

Now I'm running 32x11.50 Mud Rovers aired down in the sand and haven't had a problem.

Back