• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally an 8.8

xSUx SGT BAKER

NAXJA Forum User
I got my ford 8.8 inch rear end yesterday. It came with everything (swaybar, leaf springs still attached, drive shaft, brakes) for $250. I never realized how huge these axles were until i actually seen it. Im gonna start putting the perches on it tomorrow hopefully. Any pointers would be of great help. should i pitch the pinion more then stock or leave it the way it is? I have a 4.5 inch lift if that helps.

i would weld the tubes now why its out. So this was already under an XJ I take it. Just to be on the safe side I would check the pinion angle to make sure that it does work for your truck

no it wasnt under an xj. It came with all the stuff off a ford explorer ( sorry i should have worded that better the first time around) I was just gonna set up the perches at the same angle as the ones on my Dana 35 unless i should bring it up a few degrees. Im definitely going to weld the tubes and possibly put some trusses in there too:firedevil

Go for an angle that fits your lift now and not the old stock one. Use an angle finder with the old axle under the jeep. Once you find it, then tack the perches on the 8.8 and test fit it before fully welding the perches to the tube. That way if you need to adjust the angle you don't have to cut your new perches up really bad.

I wish i could put my old axle back under my truck but its impossible because it is bent pretty bad:doh:. guess ill just have to do some guestimation and test the fit. i would imagine that 3 degrees from stock is plenty?:huh:

did this axle swap a while back and you should weld the perches to the proper angle of your lift not what your old axle was set at. welding the tubes is a good idea, but unless your going to be jumping the hell outa it and have experience in trussing axles then i wouldnt even bother trussing it. you wont need it. anyway good luck. here is a link to some pics i took after my install.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=923409

Thanks for the info guys. The idea behind putting trusses on the axle is for a possible 4 link conversion in the near future :firedevil. I have it all designed but i dont really have the time right now to do the complete conversion so just doing it a little at a time will help when im really going to do it. BTW is it necessary to go with a double cardan drive shaft is this swap or will a normal heavy duty drive shaft do.

Mine is goin in on thursday!!!!!
with a super 88 kit and Ruff stuff specialties mounting hardware.

~Alex

The idea behind putting trusses on the axle is for a possible 4 link conversion in the near future .[/quote]

ok i gotcha, good thing your thinkin ahead. if you do truss it yourself, try to preload your axle if you can just a little bit to help even out the pull you will get by welding the truss. it can be done, but you need to know what your doing. im too lazy to truss my axle right now but i will probly truss the d30 sooner or later. its just a lot of work to do it right and i dont have the time to do it now anyways.

those 8.8 diff covers are paper thin.
get a good diff guard.

BOB

BOB said:
those 8.8 diff covers are paper thin.
get a good diff guard.

BOB

x2. I peeled mine back on the first trip out, hammered it back somewhat flush and replaced it as soon as I got home. I got a deal on a SOLID, but would go with RuffStuff in a heartbeat if I were to do it again.

Throw the axle under your Jeep, point the pinion at the t'case and use a broom handle to simulate a driveshaft. Rotate the pinion up or down until you get the best angle, and tack the perches on. Pull it out and weld em up. Easiest way, and better than guesswork.

a rough stuff cover would be awsome for an 8.8. i have the 30 and 8.25 covers and i love them. the drain plug makes changing diff fluid a lot easier and much less of a PITA.

Back