• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drilling Thermostat

96MDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you not using an OEM thermostat, are you drilling your holes at 12 and 6. Not sure on the size though. Or is it better to just get the OEM. Them only trouble is I need to get this thing up and running and my stealership cant get me the thermostat for 3-5 days.

I use the OEM thermostat and drill out both 12 and 6. I just use a bit that is big enough to drill the ring out at 12 and use the same bit to drill out 6.

I've been doing this for a number of years - 1/16" at 1200 and 0600 is usually enough - 1/8" at 1200 and 0600 is overkill.

I know the OEM thermos come with that little brass "flapper" in to break up air pockets, but I've dealt with that in a number of applications, and it don't work worth a damn. Thus, drilling thermostats...

5-90

You can buy aftermarket stats with the hole already in it at NAPA (I work at one) Loosen the temp sensor while refilling to let the trapped air out and you'll be fine.

Back