• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Install

daedgewood

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 90 Cherokee and tried to replace the pump. I am getting a hang up where I can't quit get it to seat. Any tips. Note, the filter didn't come out with the pump....

Thanks

You gotta push real hard on it to get it to seat enough where it can be turned in to place. Look for the strainer, you don't want to leave it in the tank. Make sure you use a new strainer and PUSH the strainer on the pump , do not twist or screw it on, this can cause pieces of plastic to chip off and get sucked in to the pump.

IIRC, there is a place in the bottom of the tank that has a hole in it that the nipple type thing on the bottom of the pump has to fit in to get it all aligned correctly so it will seal and line up correctly. If your not in the "hole" it will not allow the pump to go all the way down and mount correctly. Use a flashlight and look into the tank (if it is dropped, if not then forget it) and see if you can locate the item that I am refering to.

daedgewood said:
Note, the filter didn't come out with the pump....

Thanks

It's not pleasant, but reach your arm in and fish the sucker out, you don't want to leave it in. I had to do that on the last one I did.

Back