• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cracked header

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
well, i kept hearing this hissing with my windoows down. after a lot of looking i noticed a 1/2 inch crack in the header right above one of the collectors. i was planning on replacing it with an aftermarket header anyway, but not as soon as this. i don't have a huge budget and was wonder what the best value is out there. i looked on ebay and saw a few for around a $100,, but i'm not sure bout the quality either. and what about a head tube? mine for some reason is flat on the side away from the motor, just below the flange. i've got a 92 4.0 automatic.

thanks ,
chris

The ebay ones are actually decient quality. They may be made over seas, but will last as long as you have your junk.

And the down pipe, it is clearenced for the yoke on the front axle. Its factory. You can replace it with a new down pipe, but may hit it with the yoke.

i have an APN header in my 95xj. i replaced my motor mounts at the same time that i did the apn as to avoid cracking it from the motor moving. did the swap in november 07 and i have not had any problems yet

92tahoexj said:
any thoughts on this one? it doesn't say what grade of ss it uses, but has 1 5/8" tubes.

Its Chinese grade.

Make sure you replace your motor mounts (or at least check them). Bad mounts can lead to cracked headers/exhaust manifolds....

stewie said:
i have an APN header in my 95xj. i replaced my motor mounts at the same time that i did the apn as to avoid cracking it from the motor moving. did the swap in november 07 and i have not had any problems yet

damn, you beat me to it!hasta

92tahoexj said:
any thoughts on this one? it doesn't say what grade of ss it uses, but has 1 5/8" tubes.

It says its 321 stainless. I've had mine on for two years now. No problems at all.

Thanks for the info I found on here about APN. They definitely have a nicely priced header. It says it's "on sale" for $129.88, and it looks like everyone has had a good experience w/ it so far. I'll be ordering that right quick. Tired of the people at the drive through not being able to hear me when I order.

Back