• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brake hardlines?

buzxj

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the hardlines on a 90 xj that run from the rear wheel cylinders to center axle. Can I get these pre-made from the dealer? It seems like most people here are just making their own, bending and flaring, I can't seem to find replacement lines from advance, autozone, etc... Anyone know where I can find these? -Buz

You can only buy pieces of line at the parts stores. I dont know if the dealer carries the whole one or not but you can check probably expensive. You could go my route and use compression fittings on the lines. People will tell you not too but i have had no problems on my daily driver. I have done brake test at 40MPH and stopped fine and didnt lose a drop. They are real easy to use that may be why people shy away from it lol. Plus they are illegal in some states.

3/16" brake line..very common. You can buy straight, pre-made lines of various lengths at most any parts store, or buy a roll of 3/16" line for about $20 (less on ebay) and make your own, you'll lots of tubing left over for when you decide to re-plumb all the way back to MC.
If you go the straight line method it will be hard to get an exact fit, IIRC you can one straight one that will work but the other will be too long, not to worry, bend it to the desired shape, mark where you want to cut it, cut it, flare using the fittng that came with the new line and your'e good to go.
NOTE: Do not take the new fitting off the new line, I can just about guarantee that you'll make up the flare and realize that fitting is not on the line, ask me how I know, as many line as I have made up I still do this evey once in awhile...lol

XJ Stryker said:
You can only buy pieces of line at the parts stores. I dont know if the dealer carries the whole one or not but you can check probably expensive. You could go my route and use compression fittings on the lines. People will tell you not too but i have had no problems on my daily driver. I have done brake test at 40MPH and stopped fine and didnt lose a drop. They are real easy to use that may be why people shy away from it lol. Plus they are illegal in some states.
There is a reason that they are illegal: THEY ARE DANGEROUS! Do not use them, the fact is that they make work fine for you this time, and at 40 mph for you, but they may not for someone else, and you can get someone killed! My advice to anyone considering doing this: Get your head out of your ass and quit being so cheap and lazy, brakes are too important.

take the whole thing out head to a hose pro's or pirtec or other industrial hose place and get them to make up what you need, I recommend going with a braided line in a plastic cover if you wheel in places where sticks and rocks like to snag things but hard line is also a good choice. If you have never flared a brake line it is not a good way to learn when you need it perfect. When I was in UTI and in every shop class in high school and college we were required to make a hand full of bends and flares for grading, you would be surprised how easy it is once you figure out the best method for you.

busxj- if for some reason you can't get what you need or don't feel comfortable about doing it PM me, I may have some already some made up, but by the time I get them to you, you could have it already fixed.

I know this is being resolved...

Hard line is reasonably easy to work. You can use your thumb or a socket to make pretty decent bends, or buy a cheap bender.

I get 60" lengths and cut to length.

You can use the old fittings after you clean them up on a wire wheel. This is sometimes required if you have 2 different sized fittings on each side of the line.

A flair tool is also cheap. Make sure it has the dies to make a "Double Flair". That's what you want to make, double flairs. Practice on extra line before you try it on the line you want. Until you get good at flairs, cut your line long enough to allow you to cut off your mistakes :D

If you follow the original contours of the axle and remove/reinstall the line holders on the axle your installation will not cause issues with sticks and such and except for the metal wrap, will look stock.

Once, you have the line bent the way you want. Remove it and do your flair on the bench. It's much easier that way.

Avoid compression fittings.
You can keep them in your trail kit for a trail fix, but for a permanent installation, use a double flair with a normal pressure fitting.

Napa has pre-made lines with the fittings already in various standard lengths for cheap. If you don't want to mess with the flaring, you could use one of those and just use up the extra slack in an extra bend or two. Some Napa stores will also do the flares for you for $5 each. Sears has a decent double/bubble flare tool for $20.

When I did mine, I got the longest premade they had, cut it and reflared the ends. I had to swap the nuts on one end to metric anyway (doing a swap to discs). I didn't have a bender and just used my hands and bent it across a 2" piece of PVC to avoid kinking.

Back