• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 AC works for a short while then quits

dspenz

NAXJA Forum User
When I first start the engine after sitting the AC works fine, I have had it recharged and know its got the pressure , like I say it works fine, for about 5 minutes maz, then it stops. Seems if its cooler temp outside it goes 7 minutes and hotter outside it goes 2 minutes . Checked fuses and such and all seem fine, this seems conditional to temperature or time operated and temperature ... any things other than electrical to check before I replace the compressor. Don't klnow what Im doing really. lol.

Did you recharge it or did you take it somewhere? If you took it somewhere take it back to them. Since you don't know what you're doing, screwing with it can cause irreparable damage.

You have a high pressure shut off. Sounds like it's doing it's job. As Dave said, you hay be overcharged.

My 01 did the same thing. The compressor clutch wouldn't re-engage due to an increase in air gap caused by wear over the years. I took the one and only shim out from under the compressor clutch and it works like a champ again. It's called a shim, but looks like a washer to me. It took about a half hour to remove it. I did 200 miles today with the AC on the entire time and no further issues.

A band type oil filter removal tool can be placed around the clutch plate to aid in bolt removal. If I remember the nut was a 14MM.

I don't know how long it will last but it bought me time.

Back