• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ alternator problems ?

PolishX

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else had issues when their alternator gets dunked in water crossings ? mine is a 98XJ limited . , we lots 2 XJ's to alternator non charging issues after going across 1 river code PO1682

PolishX said:
, we lots 2 XJ's to alternator non charging issues after going across 1 river code PO1682

What????

I think he's trying to say that he's had two rigs downchecked for charging issues after fording - because the alternator is mounted low, and probably got dunked.

1) Try rinsing the alternator with clear water after the crossing, but be sure to leave the engine running! The flush will help get crud and such out from under the brushes, but you have to make sure it gets dried out (the brushes are loaded against the comm rings with coil springs, and they can and do rust...)

2) Could you verify that code? OBD-II SAE codes take the form of <letter><0 or 1><three numerical digits>. The letter tells you what general system (P = Powetrain, B = Body, U = Network,) the <0 or 1> tells you what sort of code <0 = SAE-defined, 1 = vendor-defined,) and the other three digits are the specific code.

So, is it P0682, or P1682? They would be two entirely different issues, which is why I don't want to guess...

yeah the odd thing is that when it is iddling its fine , you give it gas on the road and the needle just drops and goes to below the 9 marking and drops to the post. I looked at the alternator its caked in mud , so maybe I will try to water thing . . P1682 is the charging system issue so says the manual . the XJ has 106K on it and i think its the original alternator .I want to make this last till I get a mean green alternator

Last edited:
PolishX said:
yeah the odd thing is that when it is iddling its fine , you give it gas on the road and the needle just drops and goes to below the 9 marking and drops to the post. I looked at the alternator its caked in mud , so maybe I will try to water thing . . P1682 is the charging system issue so says the manual . the XJ has 106K on it and i think its the original alternator .I want to make this last till I get a mean green alternator

If you check my site (link in sig,) under the Tech Archives, I've got a listing of OBD-I and OBD-II trouble codes pulled from FSMs - find yours there, and see what I say about it. I'd like to expand the charts to include some more detail on troubleshooting and things to start out checking, but what's there should still help point you in the right direction.

You might also want to see if you can get "marine screens" for your alternator. They're meant for spark suppression in engine bays shipboard, but they can also help to keep crud outside of your alternator, which is where you'd prefer it to be...

same trouble code after cleaning etc . voltmeter tested

12.66 standing off
14.01 running

still throwing the same code . ran up to 2000-2500 rpm no drop in voltage but like I said still shows code 1682

Back