• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Marvin...meet Johnny

Andy Steiner

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
The is Marvin. He's a 1992 shortbed MJ.
100_4763.jpg

That's Jeri standing behind Marvin and she don't want him no more.

Marvin has new tires,
100_4767.jpg

New shocks.
100_4782.jpg

A new radiator, water pump and hoses.
100_4772.jpg

But Marvin also has some issues with his paint job.
100_4785.jpg

However,Marvin does come with cool nerfs bars
100_4788.jpg

...and brush guard.
100_4764.jpg

Jeri says they make Marvin look really cool.

This is Johnny.
CIMG1293.jpg

Johnny saw Marvin on the Internet and asked me to take photos and check it out. I did. Apparently I didn't look close enough though. When Johnny got to Vegas I picked him up and took him to see Marvin. He checked all the fluid levels and discovered brown sludge in the radiator. We went over to Terrible's Lube and Oil where they did a coolant exchange.
This is what came out.
CIMG1301.jpg

We think that Marvin may need all new heater hoses and a really, REALLY good douching of the cooling system and engine bay.

Unfortunately, while Marvin was idling he was smoking.
CIMG1307.jpg

There was an exhaust leak that sucked its way into the passenger compartment.
CIMG1305.jpg

Within 15 minutes, Marvin had a new muffler and cat. He was still smoking, but at least it was going out the tailpipe and not in his face.

While Marvin was up on the rack, I got a really good look at the crown jewel of the driveline.
CIMG1304.jpg

Dana 44. SCORE!

Jump This said:
Oh wait....is Johnny thinking about driving that thing home?
Up the 15....in 100* weather....with cooling issues....
Without a AAA card?
:doh:
its alot easier on the way back than it is on the way there Rick!

:cheers:

I'll donate 200 miles on my AAA card if he gets stuck.
(seriously)

I have a diesel tow rig but no trailer right now.

Man, a 92 Shortbed. That is (IMO) the culmination of the MJ's being right there. I've got an 88 and an 89... I wish either of them was a 92.

Johnny man, I'm jealous.

over2land said:

Man, a 92 Shortbed. That is (IMO) the culmination of the MJ's being right there. I've got an 88 and an 89... I wish either of them was a 92.

Johnny man, I'm jealous.

Your closer....he's your problem if he breaks down!!
:D

Okay guys, just got home. Thanks for all the help offers. I have a AAA card. :D

Marvin the Martian is no more. I stopped at Whiskey Pete's and threw out a bunch of crap. Marvin the Martian mudflaps, Marvin the Martian floor mats, Marvin the Martian key fob, Wienerschnitzel antenna thingy...

No more Marvin the Martian. Especially after Andy told us what part of his body he calls "Marvin".

The MJ drove very nicely on the way home. No more smoking. And the cruise control worked great. Just have a little problem with a low oil pressure at idle problem. Might just be the sender.

The nerf bars and grille guard come off first thing tomorrow. Anybody want these? Gotta go to the junkyard to find a wing window with a working latch.

No buggy build for this MJ. Just gonna run it stock for a while. Doesn't everybody say this? I think Bent is the only one who has kept his word. After all, it's got 5 brand new Pep Boy Futura tires. Can't let those go to waste.

Big thanks to Andy for alll his help. I'm tired. Good night.

IMG_3793.jpg

xjohnnyc said:
No more Marvin the Martian. Especially after Andy told us what part of his body he calls "Marvin".
Hey! Hey! Hey! Let's get this straight... no part of my body is named Marvin. There used to be wabby bits named Herman, but I haven't used that moniker since I was a teenager.

The MJ drove very nicely on the way home. No more smoking. And the cruise control worked great.
I'm really happy to hear that. There was an awful lot of smoke coming out of that puppy at Terribles.

Big thanks to Andy for alll his help. I'm tired. Good night.
Wow! Two XJ friends, two weeks in a row. I'm stoked. Keep coming guys. I found a place for a M&G where the bartenders and waitresses dress in lingere.

over2land said:

Johnny man, I'm jealous.

Thanks Pete,

I just could not pass this up. I always told myself if I ever found an HO MJ, I'd buy it. It's set up exactly as I wanted it.

4.0 L, 4WD, auto, shortbed, cruise control, straight rust-free body, and the D44.

I HAD to buy it.

xjohnnyc said:
Okay guys, just got home. Thanks for all the help offers. I have a AAA card. :D

The nerf bars and grille guard come off first thing tomorrow. Anybody want these? Gotta go to the junkyard to find a wing window with a working latch.

Hey Johnny, We spent most the day wrenchin at my house. (trimming Cory's fenders, installing hood vents, replacing flares on my buddies waggy, replacing front shocks...). Not done and more to do tomorrow so if you wanna swing by and wrench here you are always welcome.

BTW......I LOVE THAT THING!!!!!

silverslk said:
Hey Johnny, We spent most the day wrenchin at my house. (trimming Cory's fenders, installing hood vents, replacing flares on my buddies waggy, replacing front shocks...). Not done and more to do tomorrow so if you wanna swing by and wrench here you are always welcome.

BTW......I LOVE THAT THING!!!!!

Cool, I may swing by after the junkyard.

That thing is entirely too strait, I say run it up lower Doran without rocker protection to "clearence" the rocker panels and give it a little personality;)
I'm green with envy man; that is what I was looking for when I picked my long bed up. Let's wrench!

Back