• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS ADJUSTAMENT

jeepxj21085

NAXJA Forum User
anybody tell me the proper way to adjust the tps sensor on my 1990 xj its a five speed and the procedure seems to be diffrent than an automatic

jeepxj21085 said:
anybody tell me the proper way to adjust the tps sensor on my 1990 xj its a five speed and the procedure seems to be diffrent than an automatic

ALOT of info just search for it. Lil tab in the top part that says search with an arrow. Use Advanced search feature then search in titles only. You will find several Throttle position sensor threads.

Hope this helps you out :thumbup:

First measure the input voltage (IPV) to the TPS.

0.17*(IPV) = desired TPS idle voltage

For instance if the input voltage is 5.0 volts
5.0 * 0.17 = 0.85 volts,

therefore set the idle voltage (power on, Engine OFF) to 0.85 volts.

Ecomike said:
First measure the input voltage (IPV) to the TPS.

0.17*(IPV) = desired TPS idle voltage

For instance if the input voltage is 5.0 volts
5.0 * 0.17 = 0.85 volts,

therefore set the idle voltage (power on, Engine OFF) to 0.85 volts.

How on earth do you do that? Is there a tool?

You need 2 tools, a torx (sp?) wrench (just buy a small set of them) to loosen the torx screws, and a volt ohm multi meter (DVM or AVM, Digital or analog volt meter, runs 5 to 20 dollars). Loosen the screws, back probe the TPS wires on pins C & B with the meter probes (the plastic connector is labeled A, B , C).

Turn the ignition switch on to the run position, but do not start the motor. Then rotate the TPS under the loose screws until you get the proper idle voltage. Most people set theirs at 0.82 volts, unless their ECU is not puting out a full 5 volts, in which case you use the formula to calculate the proper volatge, and measure the ECU input voltage at the TPS from pin A to pin C, then plug that value into the formula to calculate the proper voltage for pin B to pin C. Once you have the idle voltage set you carefully re-tighten the screws with out moving the TPS!

Back