• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best thing I have done to the Jeep yet!!!

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the rubber "carpet" out of the 87 this morning....(keep in mind, it was already 80 F'n degrees when started at 11:00, by the time I was done around 2:00, it was 95)

3024245_49_full.jpg

Passenger side was by far the worst, most of the rust is actually on top of paint. I ground it down to bare metal anyway.....
3024245_50_full.jpg

3024245_51_full.jpg

There is one pinhole directly under the brake pedal....(where your foot rests)
3024245_52_full.jpg

3024245_53_full.jpg

Say hello to my little frieeend!!!!
3024245_54_full.jpg

Nice course flap discs work great for rust removal.
3024245_55_full.jpg

I sprayed the giant black area with rust converter....
3024245_58_full.jpg

Then rattle can gloss black to seal it all up!! And a little siliocne sealer to plug up all the screw holes from the goverment radio and equipment mountings....
3024245_59_full.jpg

Yes, I ground off the sticker (as much as I could before my disc plugged up)

Next up, Herculiner!!! and the cargo area mat needs to go too.....

Yes, I also realize I got paint on the trim and console, I am repainting those anyway, so it's a moot point.....

Last edited:
Care to come and take care of mine. I only have holes the size of volleyballs on mine. :bawl: Fiancee' was a little pissed when she found out the passenger seat waa being held by 2 bolts. Nice work on your Jeep though. Looks like your headed in the right direction.

You probably should have stopped at the black rust converter as with the gloss black you'll have to use the scuff pad to dull it back down to get the herc to properly adhere to it. But looks good though and sounds like so far you've gotten lucky with just surface rust unlike most people.

plus the gloss will scuff up really easily from your feet.

I plan on scuffing it before I herc it. It looks good, and does the job for now.....

I did have one drainplug that came up, I siliconed it down so it's now sealed again.

poorboy_616 said:
I plan on scuffing it before I herc it. It looks good, and does the job for now.....

I did have one drainplug that came up, I siliconed it down so it's now sealed again.

Nice job I did mine with the plasticoat from walmart only 45 bucks a gallon. Turned out great. I have pics of it if you want to see it. Took three coats on the front and two in the back before i ran out and it really looks good.

Yah pop the drain plugs and go to the parts store and get rubber inserts for them. When I popped mine out I went to o'reilly's and in the misc. aisle where they have all the little stuff I used master cylinder plugs from I'm guessing early chrysler. They're about 1 inch around and fit perfectly in the holes and make for quick removal if and when needed.

Pics... you can also check out my build in the MWC. The thread has the pictures of the rust.. holes.. then patch work here is the Platicoat though. Still holding up fine.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945280

Rhino-lined.jpg

Rearcomplete.jpg

RhinoBack2.jpg

RhinoBack.jpg

Can't remember what coats I was on so I just posted all the rear pics. But i ended up gettting 3 coats in the front then two in the back before i was out. The back will get another coat but but right now 2 is holding up fine.

tupton said:
Why plug up the drain holes? Never know when you might need them.

You hit the nail on the head man

Yeah I knocked all my drain plugs out, then used Gorilla Glue to seal permanent sheet metal patches over the holes that were not in drain channels. The remaining holes will have removable plugs so that I can hose it out when needed.

Like I said, I will be using Boat plug (AKA Bilge plugs to seal my drain holes, that way I can pop'em and drain whatever water gets inside....

I did pop them today and hosed it down insde, what a time saver, no more dragin' the shop vac out, just turn the hose to it.....

Just a side note, some of the weirdly-positioned "drain plugs" are actually there to give access to the upper bolts on the cross member - you'll want to leave these accessible.

Back