• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OPTIMA battery....

Didn't we have a Battery Whore in the So Cal Chapter.

;)

Clean-RC said:
Don't even bother with an Optima... Just PM Grant (gcurtis) at Force batteries and get an Odyssey...

x2

Clean-RC said:
Don't even bother with an Optima... Just PM Grant (gcurtis) at Force batteries and get an Odyssey...

Whats wrong with optima? Never had a problem with mine.

Tim D.

5150xj said:
Whats wrong with optima? Never had a problem with mine.

Tim D.
optimas get a bad rap because people dont select the right battery for thier needs. in normal use a red top is fine. start adding in the huge amp draw from aux lights, a winch, a big stereo system and the like, and they start crapping out. people blame the battery but thats not what the red top was designed for. the yellow top is a deep cycle battery and is made to stand up to the higher amp draw.

of course people will chime in with the "my optima sucked" responses, but ive had an optima yellow top in every car ive owned (the xj is my 11th) and never had a problem with a single one of them, and every car ive owned has had a 1500w+ stereo system in it. the one in the XJ has been in there for 3 years with no problems whatsoever, and i had a 4000w stereo system and a 3000w power inverter in it at one point.

i like em, but i will agree, an oddessy is a better battery, and you would be helping support a local club members buisness. give grant a PM ;)

I run a blue top and havent had any problems yet but my next battery will be an odyssey from Grant.. Good battery and good guy

I had 2 yellow optima's and both crapped out fairly early for a vehicle I dont drive every day, switched to the orbital brand blue tops (yellow were out of stock) and going on 4 years of solid performance, even when I winch and use all 7 130watt lights and high beams they seem to perform like Im running a 300amp alternator when all I have is a stock 70.

Every odyssey battery I see seems to be of highest quality and everyone seems to like them very much which is why I plan on getting a few for the new projects

Gerr said:
I had 2 yellow optima's and both crapped out fairly early for a vehicle I dont drive every day, switched to the orbital brand blue tops (yellow were out of stock) and going on 4 years of solid performance, even when I winch and use all 7 130watt lights and high beams they seem to perform like Im running a 300amp alternator when all I have is a stock 70.

Every odyssey battery I see seems to be of highest quality and everyone seems to like them very much which is why I plan on getting a few for the new projects

optimas dont like to sit and not be used, mine goes dead if i dont start the jeep for a month, even when disconnected.

that orbital blue top is a marine deep cycle, basically a trolling motor battery, thats why its lasting better, and is the correct battery for how you are using it :D

GrimmJeeper said:
optimas dont like to sit and not be used, mine goes dead if i dont start the jeep for a month, even when disconnected.

that orbital blue top is a marine deep cycle, basically a trolling motor battery, thats why its lasting better, and is the correct battery for how you are using it :D
Hmm explains a lot every one I talked to said yellow was the way to go for my YJ when I bought them but then again I was talking to sales guys trying to sell me something.

FWIW....

I have a 9 year old optima red top. Runs the winch fine. Ran the lights fine (when I had them). Jeep is never daily driven, sits around 1-2 months between every trip. It is never dead.

I also have a one year old red top in my wifes WJ. Daily driven most of the time. If it sits for more than a week, it is low wnough to have trouble starting (or not start at all).

My only guess is that the quality of the optimas has dropped sometime in the last 9 years????

JohnX said:
My only guess is that the quality of the optimas has dropped sometime in the last 9 years????
that seems to be the trend, specifically in the last 2. i dont know if they changed manufacturers or what, but they are not what they used to be.

never had a problem at costco don't take it to the auto shop go to the return desk I havetaken two back that were from work not bought on my card no problem I learnd a long time ago allways trickel charge batt before install my MC batterys last 10 times longer
I will not install a battery until it is at max voltege I have a yellow in the jeep red in my
PU both with alarms clocks drawing both get started once a month any longer and
forget abought it the spare red on the bench stays on a charger 24/7
Big Sal

Just a heads up and for the record, Force Batteries sells both Optimas and Odyssey batteries, but I prefer the Odyssey for quality. Optima quality has dropped in years as stated clearly from the master distributor. Both units I sell for five dollars over cost for the gas to pick them up as a NAXJA favor. My business is not to make money from you all; rather to build the brand and to help out the club and other 4x4 clubs.... details to come.

Whore at will. Thanks to those who mentioned my business. We keep it in family.

Back