• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No spark need help bad

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
:rattle: So i have a 96 4.0 manual and here is what i wnt through for nothing. I was on my way to a mountain biking trip when my car died at a light. I realized i had no spark so i tried the coil a CPS but i got nothing. I towed it to a local shop where i know the mechanic he told my that a wire from the cpu to the cps had no power so i must be the comp. I got the comp online for $300 and put it in. still no start. it was supposed to be flash programmed but not vin programmed so then i brought it to Chrysler and had them program it for $106 but didnt start and gave them another 106 dollars for them to tell me I had alot of problems. I dont know where to start but chrysler gave me some wire diagrams and and told me to clean some grounds and i may have to open the harness. I know another part that was changes was a magnetic peice in the distributer. I think the coil pickup. the dealer kept saying that its the cam sensor but i dont think i have one what can i do now.

Same thing happened to me ('96, 4.0, 5 spd). The wiring leading to my rear oxy sensor dropped down and the driveshaft rubbed thru 3 of the 5 wires.

Spliced all the wires, but still no spark. There's a 15amp micro fuse in the PDC under the hood. It was blown (I think it's the fuse for the O2 sensor heater). Replaced it, and all was well (plus, I have a new CPS, which I didn't need, but now is guaranteed to never go out, since I have a spare).

Steve

Are you sure? It's just behind the cat. The front is up by the collector, on the downpipe. We have the same drivetrain...Do you know it's not there, but should be, or aare you saying that you have one, it's just not hooked up?

If it's just "not hooked up" you should have a CEL lit.

i took out the cat and just have no 02 hooked up but the light didnt come on maybe it doesnt work so thats not causing my problem because i drove like that for years

As the stealership said, you need to get a volt-ohm (multi meter) and start at the CPS and PCM and follow the signal through the wires until you find a bad wire, or eventualy determine what part is bad.

Check the ignition switch for burned contacts and wires on the feed to the PCM computer, check the Fuse box for blown fuses, check the battery cables for the small wires that feed the computer (not the starter) and the ground wires at the battery, frame and engine.

Follow the wiring in an FSM for places where the spark signal can be lost, like relays, the ICM which is directly under the HV coil.

Are there any other past (recent) or current seemingly unrelated problems???

There are some relays and sensors in the 96 and later years that may be involved in stopping the spark, one is the Auto shut down relay, ballast relay and ballast resistor. These are more involved in fuel supply (so check for fuel pump pressure first) but they also seem to talk to the PCM computer, so if one of them is down, maybe the PCM computer detects it and kills the spark. Not sure what the computer protocall is on the 96 OBD-II, but it should be spelled out in the 96 FSM.

kenny schmitt said:
Dumb question whats FSM?

Factory Service Manual. PM me your email address.

Back