• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CarnageFest '06 Stoddard Pics.

Captain Ron

NAXJA Forum User
It didn't really live up to it's name, but Avery had some interesting breakage.

Late start, night attack on Pumpkin Eater East.

stod01.jpg

stod02.jpg

So, things were going good, right up to this pic, when I forgot that PE turns hard left after the Vee Notch. We continued straight. It didn't help that no one has been out there all summer, no tracks to follow, and I havn't run the trail in over a year.

Damn, I don't remember this obstacle being that big. :D

stod03.jpg

stod04.jpg

stod05.jpg

stod06.jpg

stod07.jpg

Avery, the reamer guy. :D

stod08.jpg

--ron

So we get to this gigantic wall, and I realize, this is not a part of Pumkin Eater. :D

But, getting up there was alot of fun. Coming down, however, turned out to be a nail biter. Avery finished off a teaked TRE, and we had to leave him up there until morning.

And we complain about how/where the ladies park. :D

stod09.jpg

First, you go up this...

stod10.jpg

Then thru this...

stod11.jpg

Then up and thru this...

stod12.jpg

Then up this. The left line is the "easy" line. Both interns needed a winch here. I think a majority of Avery's damage occured getting up on the right.

stod13.jpg

There's another 2 waterfalls before the wall that were very difficult. But no way was I going to hike any further than the parking spot to take pics of them. Coming down this stuff was hairy.
So we sent Phil first. :D

He drove out of 2 endovers. Bryan lost a bead in a very difficult spot and drained his battery before he got down.

Fixed.

stod14.jpg

Coming down the "easy" way. I noticed that the interns changed clothes that morning back at camp, and that no one wandered off to take a dump that night. :D

stod15.jpg

So the *night run* lasted until 5:30 AM, then we went back and finished PE East, and went over to PE West and did the waterfall. Needless to say, the interns and I did not make it up to Bald Mountain. :D

Dummies in the Desert During the Day. :D

stod16.jpg

--ron

I'm a desert Rat, no question. But, not even I would be doing a run out here right now. Its not that the nights or even the mornings are bad, heck those two are the sweetest parts of the day, but you still need to contend with the 'day' part of the day. Kinda' hot still!
Glad you had fun...:D
Maybe see you at the PBB event in September?
Rick R

so I take it that the TRE was backasswards and needed to be reamed the opposite direction? I didnt get a word back from my buddy (I called him about 7AM when we got back to camp) till about 9AM, when I got word that it was a TRE that goes on the bottom of the knuckle and would prolly need to be reamed for the DLE to go in the front side. So since it was so late and I didnt have averys #, only yours Ron, I figured you would still be passed out and just figured I would wait to read about it..

I want to thank you and the others for a great time, even if you all were later then F$#^ getting there.

Robert you were right about the TRE. I luckily had my drill and the proper reamer so we got the TRE from AutoZone and did the mods to it back at the truck. Got it all going quick. It was nice meeting you. Thanks for trying to call.

Ron, you going to finish the story?

ROBERTK said:
even if you all were later then F$#^ getting there.

welcome to Ron Time - Lean Manufacturing isnt just a business practice - its a way of life!

we were well on time! :D

pics in a few days once i move away from all the So*Cal Tards...
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif

:D :D

cracker said:
Robert you were right about the TRE. I luckily had my drill and the proper reamer so we got the TRE from AutoZone and did the mods to it back at the truck. Got it all going quick. It was nice meeting you. Thanks for trying to call.

Ron, you going to finish the story?

How was it once you got it back together? You make it the remaining 100 yards ok? Did you guys go to other trails? I really wish I could have stayed. And wheres the 1000 picts that ben took with your camera :laugh2:

XJ_ranger said:
pics in a few days once i move away from all the So*Cal Tards...
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif

Now look how uncomfortable you two are when your rear wheel is 4 feet in the air :laugh2:

FileHandler.ashx

Robert, we actually got out of there and continued on to do Pumpkin Eater. We finish that section of the trail and proceed over to the first waterfall on the second portion of PE. I started my ascent and I was just spinning. I realigned myself and started up it again and my rear diff hit. As I proceeded to get my diff unstuck, we heard a big bang. Bigger than normal. We all looked and saw nothing. I then decided to start it up again and try to drive it. My front left wasn't spinning and we thought it was the hub. I winched up it and took the hub out and this piece of the alloy stub shaft came with it. The weird thing was that the alloy hub fuse didn't break and the shaft broke after it tapered large again. I was going forward with no bouncing either. We then called it a day.

FileHandler.ashx

FileHandler.ashx

cracker said:
.,......... diff unstuck, we heard a big bang. Bigger than normal. We all looked and saw nothing. I then decided to start it up again and try to drive it. My front left wasn't spinning and we thought it was the hub. I winched up it and took the hub out and this piece of the alloy stub shaft came with it. The weird thing was that the alloy hub fuse didn't break and the shaft broke after it tapered large again. I was going forward with no bouncing either. We then called it a day.

FileHandler.ashx

FileHandler.ashx
couldnt have happened to a better guy :laugh: work my a$$ off for an in and out burger then go wheelin :nono:

steagall9301 said:
couldnt have happened to a better guy :laugh: work my a$$ off for an in and out burger then go wheelin :nono:

top_store_2.jpg

flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif
flipoff.gif

Next time Mei will be home to cook us some dog :D

GSequoia said:
Mmmm.

Smells expensive.

It is under warranty so I was only out the 22.99 for a new TRE.

FileHandler.ashx

Back