• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 vs. AX15

JeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty, I was wondering if anyone knew specific numbers or just has the answer to whats faster 0-60, or maybe in the quarter. I know there was a few manual trannies, but Im talking about the most common 5-speed used in the nineties (I think AX15) versus the AW4. Average conditions, average driver. Of course I know that sticks are almost always quicker in cars, but I wanna know about the XJ. I figured with the long throws and the higher gearing might slow it down to the four speed auto. Plus, the flat torque curve of the 4.0 might benefit the automatic. Im not looking to swap or buy a new car, just curious. :D Thanks ahead for any responses.

The overall gearing is actually lower in those XJ's with the AX15 in the first four gears and the reason is this:

1st gear:
AX15: 3.83 gear x 3.07 axle = 11.76 overall
AW4: 2.80 gear x 3.55 axle = 9.94

2nd gear:
AX15: 2.33 gear x 3.07 axle = 7.15
AW4: 1.53 gear x 3.55 axle = 5.43

3rd gear:
AX15: 1.44 gear x 3.07 axle = 4.42
AW4: 1.00 gear x 3.55 axle = 3.55

4th gear:
AX15: 1.00 gear x 3.07 axle = 3.07
AW4: 0.75 gear x 3.55 axle = 2.66

It should be no surprise that the 5-speeds will feel faster through the gears since the torque multiplication is greater. The 5-speeds also have less drivetrain torque loss so they are definitely faster to the 1/4 mile than their AW4 brethren. The only limiting factor is how fast the driver can shift gears.
For the record, my XJ ran 16.3 @ 85 in stock form.

Incredible. Thanks Dino, I didn't want to ask u specifically, but I figured youd be the one to help me on this one. :worship: Hahah, anyway, I noticed that the AX15 has a gearing of 4.22 in reverse. That thing must be a beast backing up!:eek:

JeepSpeed said:
Hahah, anyway, I noticed that the AX15 has a gearing of 4.22 in reverse. That thing must be a beast backing up!:eek:

Ya its for doing the smokey burnouts in reverse:D Didnt you know;)

AARON

Back