• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing ball joint - need to replace bottom sleeve in knuckle?

CRJeepin

NAXJA Forum User
Like the topic says, I'm replacing the ball joints on my '88 XJ and am not sure if I need to replace the sleeve in the lower knuckle or not. One came with the new ball joint, so it's no big deal to replace it I just have to buy the spanner wrench.

Just wonder if I should bother or not, or if there is a good reason NOT to do it!

Also, is the torque on it 50 lb-ft? I found a thread to that effect on JU but can't find it anywhere else.

Thanks for any suggestions.

CR

I was wary about replacing the sleeve in mine, until I squirted a little pb blaster and it came out with no effort. I dont think you can torque the sleeve, but the ball joint nuts are like 80-90 ft-lbs I believe.

Yeah, I was just looking at it tonight and I think the sloppy lower ball joint didn't do it any favors, it would probably snug up OK but I'm gonna go ahead and replace it. Going to buy the tool from OTC though because they're a little rusty and I don't want to bugger it up.

Don't know if different years are the same but on a 89 XJ the split sleeve is measured from the bottom of the sleeve to the bottom of the "C" housing......- .120"??? something like that but not sure.

The Dana 30 in a CJ is torqued.

Check the FSM for the proper measurement.

Ron

No FSM for my 88...Haynes doesn't include it.

Will measure the one that's in there now and see how far from the bottom it is.

Thanks!
CR

In garage today and checked the FSM for the measurement..................... (.206") from the lower "boss" to the high crown on the ring. I used the depth part of a cheap $8 6" caliper to measure this.

Back