• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic transmission life?

JarVander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at an '99 XJ with 160k for my son. All is as expected for the milage. Question is will a properly maintained 4L powered AW4 go to 300k without issues?

I currently drive a manual trans '89 4L with 268k that I bought new. It's been in the shop once (for the O2 sensor recall).

Probably not completely without issues.
I have a '99 not as many miles as yours, 120+, and all i've ever had to fix was the belt and new brakes.

I've heard rumors and fables about 99+ heads cracking as well as ignition reliability.
I've also heard 99 called the "perfect" XJ year. Research the heads and ignition - those are the reported weak points I've heard of.

I believe the 0331 (the crack prone one) head was 00-01? And '99 was the last year for the HP-D30. I drive a '97 with 190,000, no problems yet, just keep up with regular maintenance.

JarVander said:
I'm looking at an '99 XJ with 160k for my son. All is as expected for the milage. Question is will a properly maintained 4L powered AW4 go to 300k without issues?

I currently drive a manual trans '89 4L with 268k that I bought new. It's been in the shop once (for the O2 sensor recall).
If it is properly maintained it should go past 300,000 and not have any big issues. It really depends on who was driving it and how well they treated it. My 00 is at 270,000, it has never left me or the previous owner stranded. The only non maint. item replaced was the AC compressor and there than that nothing else has gone wrong with it. You are also safe on a 99, thats the year "most" people consider the best year to buy. The head will not crack like on some 00-01's, it gets a better intake manifold than the 87- 98's, better head than the 00-01's, and still has the stronger high pinion front axle.

99 is about as good as it gets...the only thing that would have made it perfect was if it had the distributorless ignition that the 00-01s have....

The only issues I've had were with my TPS sending the wrong signals to the computer. Changed and adjusted and issue went away. Keep it cool, keep it well lubed (DexIII or better) and drive it like you need it, not like it's indestructible.

96 cherokee aw4 4.0l family owned in 97' hwy driven till 161,xxx miles.Im the son and Ive put a noslip locker and did burn outs like you wouldnt believe, till one day when I brake touqued it and nothing. I thought the trany was gone, but weight an hour and it shifts, the next day a trany cooler was ordered and I installed it.The cherokee hsa 212,xxx shift great and would drive it anywhere.

In searching for my own issue, I came up with this handy chart.

TransLifeChartfromHECATInc.jpg

99 XJ really is the best XJ year to get concerning engine, transmission, axles, etc... On your question, can the transmission go that long, sure. Will it? does it matter? Getting it rebuilt won't send you to the poor house. The important thing to remember about this tranny is that it runs hot. So don't tow or do heavy wheeling without a tranny cooler. Keep up with the maintenance and get little things taken care of before they turn into big things. The motor (just like the transmission) also runs a tad hot, so keep things cool and you'll have a long lasting rig.

Thanks all. '99 with auto it is. I'll add a trans cooler kit when I get a weekend. Very pleased with my '89, looking forward to the same experience with the '99.

JarVander said:

My '97 XJ has 277K on it and still runs great. Only issue with AW-4 was one time I had to replace a solenoid as it was giving a false failure signal and the check engine light came on. I replaced it ONLY to pass inspection as around here you can't pass inspection with check engine light on. Solenoid is very easy to replace.

my2¢

pretty damn bulletproof. if you keep it maintained it should be golden. I love my AW4

i run two smaller tranny coolers, one optional stock one, one aftermarket from rustys, or i guess if you have money buy a big one

Back